Perfect Shrimp Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JryanM

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am planning to build my own acrylic tank that will be home to either RCS or Rili Shrimp.
Any suggestions on dimensions? I was thinking of building a longer but shorter tank, possibly 30x 10x 8. To create more area for the shrimp to move around.
How tall of a tank do they need?
How much space between the water line and tank edge to prevent escape?
I would like a tank in the 10 USgallon range
Any advice or ideas are welcome!

I would think that 10" deep should be plenty.
I like the idea of customizing your own aquarium. It solves two problems. It will be shallow enough for optimal light transfer and plant growth and it provides a big footprint for the shrimp. Excellent idea!! Now you have me thinkin.... hmmmm. :)

Cichlid Kid said:
I would think that 10" deep should be plenty.
I like the idea of customizing your own aquarium. It solves two problems. It will be shallow enough for optimal light transfer and plant growth and it provides a big footprint for the shrimp. Excellent idea!! Now you have me thinkin.... hmmmm. :)

Thanks:) I just couldn't find a tank that was the perfect size.(in my price range that is) I wanted one with enough footprint like you said but not too tall. I may even go 36in in length:)

emerald76 said:
Petco sells a 6 gallon long- just a suggestion

Yea but it is a low quality plastic were for a little more money I can build one of high quality acrylic of my own specs.
I did consider it at first tho

Are you strictly looking at DIY? What's your budget? I personally like the Mr. Aqua frameless tanks at Marine Depot's site. They're like the ADA's and Do!Aquas at a lower price point. The Mr. Aqua 12g long looks sweet.

Brian_Nano12g said:
Are you strictly looking at DIY? What's your budget? I personally like the Mr. Aqua frameless tanks at Marine Depot's site. They're like the ADA's and Do!Aquas at a lower price point. The Mr. Aqua 12g long looks sweet.

I'm not set on DIY but would rather go with an acrylic tank over a glass. But I am still considering all my options so thanks for the heads up!

You said you're looking for something around 10 gallons? You can't beat a cheap 10 gallon price wize, 13 bucks for a glass top, 12 bucks for the tank, get a cheap sponge filter for 5-10 bucks, pick up a work light and cfl bulb from a hardware store and you're set! 50 bucks all's you'd need is some substrate and plants, maybe a heater if where you live it gets really cold. Acrylic is going to cost around 10 bucks a square foot from what I've seen so premade glass 10 gallon would be your best bet IMO.

Sake said:
You said you're looking for something around 10 gallons? You can't beat a cheap 10 gallon price wize, 13 bucks for a glass top, 12 bucks for the tank, get a cheap sponge filter for 5-10 bucks, pick up a work light and cfl bulb from a hardware store and you're set! 50 bucks all's you'd need is some substrate and plants, maybe a heater if where you live it gets really cold. Acrylic is going to cost around 10 bucks a square foot from what I've seen so premade glass 10 gallon would be your best bet IMO.

This is true and actually I already have a 10 gallon setting at my house but I am looking for a longer and shorter tank than the standard 10 gallon tank

I love the concept. I was thinking how ideal it'd be to do this.

Please keep a running tab of what you spend here.

If space isn't an issue, there's no problem with going larger, but why not stick small scale first? Perhaps 3-6 gallons just long and wide.

You could always replicate the results on a large scale.

I love nanos, they're very cool. Cheaper and a little more intimate, they offer something a large tank can't. o_O.

You could easily build in a filtration system too, instead of a clunky HOB.

Heck, make them well enough and you could honestly sell them by the hundred on this forum.

MABJ said:
I love the concept. I was thinking how ideal it'd be to do this.

Please keep a running tab of what you spend here.

If space isn't an issue, there's no problem with going larger, but why not stick small scale first? Perhaps 3-6 gallons just long and wide.

You could always replicate the results on a large scale.

I love nanos, they're very cool. Cheaper and a little more intimate, they offer something a large tank can't. o_O.

You could easily build in a filtration system too, instead of a clunky HOB.

Heck, make them well enough and you could honestly sell them by the hundred on this forum.

Haha! Thanks for the support! I will definitely keep a running tab and post pictures along the way. I may try a smaller one to begin with like you suggested. I am a college student so it will be about a month before I start( due to finals and other unimportant stuff...)

JryanM said:
Haha! Thanks for the support! I will definitely keep a running tab and post pictures along the way. I may try a smaller one to begin with like you suggested. I am a college student so it will be about a month before I start( due to finals and other unimportant stuff...)

No problem! I'm a college student, too, and Sake suggested I build an acrylic tank. I don't have tools, but it's not like I wouldn't be willing to try.

How would you plan on doing it?

MABJ said:
No problem! I'm a college student, too, and Sake suggested I build an acrylic tank. I don't have tools, but it's not like I wouldn't be willing to try.

How would you plan on doing it?

The video that is linked above is one I watched and I plan on ordering Pre cut sheets from "TAPplastics.com" in the right sizes and using the acrylic welding agent and the applicator bottle they sell to "weld" the pieces together

Shrimpfever said:
best is any gallon long sized.
standard tanks just dont do it.

That's why I wanted to build my own because it's difficult to find the right sized tanks and I could build my tank to better suit shrimp:)

Anyone know a good Lighting solution? I was thinking about the marineland double bright led since the tank will be so shallow but I'm not sure. Any cheaper solution?

I just stick with either T5HO single strip. OR T5LO double strip :)

OR cheapest way is to go to hydroponics shop and get T5LO strips for 20-30 bucks, and rig it yourself

They might think your growing pot:p

Anyone know a good Lighting solution? I was thinking about the marineland double bright led since the tank will be so shallow but I'm not sure. Any cheaper solution?

CFLs 6,500K !!!! Cheap and grow plants just fine. You can either hang 2 bulbs pointing down or use clamp lights or other desk lamps. Just make sure they are secure. The Marineland LED is not very great for plants. BUT if you want a Moss or Moss and Fern only tank then it might be fine.

Shrimp breeders often have very simple tanks so they can reach the Shrimp to cull out or sell them. Moss only is sometimes used.

If you check on The Planted Tank or Shrimp Now you'll see some really nice Shrimp Tanks for inspiration :)

Shrimpfever said:
I just stick with either T5HO single strip. OR T5LO double strip :)

OR cheapest way is to go to hydroponics shop and get T5LO strips for 20-30 bucks, and rig it yourself

They might think your growing pot:p

I'll check them out!
Haha! Uh oh=P

Back
Top Bottom