Pesky Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjonesej0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I read online that an easy way to get rid of nuisance snails is to put a penny in the filter. Has anyone had any experience with this remedy?

Note: other inhabitants of my 6Gal Fluval freshwater tank - neon tetra (2), and male guppie (3). ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401310881.458884.jpg

Can't say I've heard of that one before. Is it meant to release copper or something? The only concern I would have is that at least with a product you are dosing to a certain amount. Interesting!

I guess if it did work you would need to check if your water conditioner detoxifies heavy metals anyways.

Can't say I've heard of that one before. Is it meant to release copper or something? The only concern I would have is that at least with a product you are dosing to a certain amount. Interesting!

I guess if it did work you would need to check if your water conditioner detoxifies heavy metals anyways.

I ended up getting a clown loach and boom the snails are gone. They were swiftly murdered! And a tasty snack to boot. Thanks though. Good point about the notion of it being dosing either way.

I know the topic is snail control, but what is the long term plan for the clown loach? They can get quite large (16"), do better in groups and require a large tank (4-6'). Just curious.

I know the topic is snail control, but what is the long term plan for the clown loach? They can get quite large (16"), do better in groups and require a large tank (4-6'). Just curious.

Crap. I hadn't thought about that part. Blast! I guess I need to sell/donate him then. The pet store person said he wouldn't be a problem with growth. ****it I should have done more research. Suggestions? (This is my only tank)

I am thinking that the place that sold you the clown loach should buy it back since they provided misinformation. I clown loach in a 6 gallon? Incredible.
Otherwise contact any LFS (not the big box stores) to see if they will take them in. There should be several in your area (http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2012/05/11/best-fish-and-aquarium-supply-stores-in-atlanta/)

I will certainly search the classifieds of this place / other forums as well. Thank you for the link.
I also got a tiny puffer fish. I think I read somewhere that they eat snails too. He's adorable and strange looking at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom