Pet store advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HusbandsTank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was at the only local pet store that sells corals and it appeared that half their propagation tanks have bubble algae all over the plastic and some rocks.

Im new to all this but can getting a coral from them mean that my tank can get infested too? Or does it not spread that way?

I'm not actually answering that question as much as throwing out my experience. Sometimes the owners of the coral shops buy from individuals and that infected the shop owner tanks. What I do is the cup acclimation which I do separately in a bowl. So I'm able to see if there's any gooies on it. But just because something is in the tank at the shop doesn't mean you will get it in yours if you're rinsing as you go during acclimation. (My theory only!). I got purple slime from my shop once. In abundance. It happens in the shop tanks just as it does in home tanks.

I was at the only local pet store that sells corals and it appeared that half their propagation tanks have bubble algae all over the plastic and some rocks.

Im new to all this but can getting a coral from them mean that my tank can get infested too? Or does it not spread that way?

Maybe you live near me. My LFS has terrible tanks and I won't buy anything from their tanks. Supplies and freshwater only. I have to drive either north or south almost an hour to get to a quality LFS. I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom