Pet turtle problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ledh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! (excuse any mistakes or weird descriptive language, I speak Dutch and don't know much turtle jargon in English)

I have a pet turtle, a yellow-bellied slider. She's around 3 years old. I adopted her from a girl who was going away to college and her parents were scared of the turtle. She was kept in a smallish tank, so I adopted her and put in a very big tank of water with a lot of rocks to climb on, a glass plate to climb on and one of those floating basking islands. She seems quite content, eats a lot and poops. I replace the water weekly. She's fed with dried shrimp, turtle pellets, lettuce, tomato and dead flies. Her shell is around 10cm long (4 inches). she gets a LOT of sunlight and warmth. she often basks.

However, my mom always sits near her while watching TV and says that she makes a lot of noise, pushing around stones, climbing again the glass, diving in and out of the water, swimming against the glass... I'm sure the tank is big enough (can't remember exact measurements but i researched it in some books before buying one). She also makes a very strange 'pfrrrtt' noise sometimes at night. Not that it bothers us if she's happy doing that, but i'm afraid she's trying to tell us something we don't understand.

Is this all normal? Or is there a problem? If it's not, I'll take her to the vet or try and fix it!

Hey, it sounds like you have a good setup for her, I'm sure the noises are her just trying to escape! My turtles like to bury themselves, climb on the side of the tank, constantly head-but the glass when you stare at the tank like they want to get away. Don't be worried it is just her personality shining through. The "pftffttt" noise could be many things and again I'm pretty sure u have nothing to worry about there, probably just air escaping from folds in her skin when she goes back into her shell or somthing similar.

Hope everything stays healthy and well.

Good to hear, thank you for your reply!

I've never had a turtle or another amphibian or reptile, so I want to make sure I keep her healthy and happy!

Im not going to go into a lot here but i have been rescuing aquatic turtles for shy over three years now. I must say at three years of age please build a basking area using aquarium silicone. That suction to the side of the tank basking zone isnt going to last long with the little guy. I never even used them with my hatchlings. I personally do not trust them. Secondly do me a huge favor.... STOP FEEDING HIM FLIES(ESPECIALLY DEAD ONES) TOMATOS AND LETTUCE IMMEDIATELY. If you want to feed them anything additional to the dried shrimp and pellets get them some worms from the ground from the nearest pond or lake that naturally thrive with aquatic turtles and feed him that. I do not want to see anything bad happen to him. Im sorry i couldnt have sugar coated anything but i am HIGHLY serious when it comes to the health and safety of turtles. Thank you.

GuppieStudent said:
Also please remove the glass. Thank you.

You do know there's a edit button right? Please don't post things which can be edited into a text.

Samzter personally im not sure what you mean by that. Please explain further. And person with turtle please let me know how things go with your little guy. Thank you.

What i mean is that instead of making a new post to add to a previous post you've written, you click the edit button on a post to add what you've forgotten. Otherwise it bumps the amounts of posts you've written.

Yes i realized this just a few minutes ago through another post thank you. However im still awaiting a response frim the guy with little aquatic turtles. I really wanna know how they are doing

Hi, my turtle is doing really well actually. She's fed 99% dried shrimp and pellets now, and occasionaly a tiny bit of leftover lettuce as a treat. (a fingernail big or so)

She's really happy with the tank, the suction thingy works just fine! she's had it for three years now, i clean it weekly.

Back
Top Bottom