Petco "aquatic combo"??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powermatt5000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just purchased 2 of these plant combos with the tag saying "dracaena, spathiphyllum,ophiopogon,trichomanes,".

I googled this name and now I'm getting all these web pages saying there not aquatic plant and they will die.

Have I done something wrong again?

It's not your fault if your miss sold something don't feel bad! You havn't done anything wrong! I feel for you I've read that many petco/pets at home (uk) sell semi water loving plants as aquarium plants, along as you like them and are happy, stick them in and if they die back they die back if not then no problems!

Just purchased 2 of these plant combos with the tag saying "dracaena, spathiphyllum,ophiopogon,trichomanes,".

I googled this name and now I'm getting all these web pages saying there not aquatic plant and they will die.

Those Petco aquatic combo's are such a pain.
I know dracaena is non-aquatic ... it'll eventually die, rot and foul your water.
Don't know about the others ... but if they're also non aquatic ... remove them.

I think I'll just return them if I can. I don't need anymore problems. Any recommendations on what to get for my 55g. I've got to large pieces of drift wood. I'm looking to have angle fish with neon tetras. I'd like to keep them on the lower light end of the scale if I can

From Petco I'd go with Anubias or Java Fern (not sure if your's has this one) ... either can be attached (by string) to DW ... eventually their roots will take hold. A non DW they sell to consider is Crypt or Amazon Sword ... the others are low light ... the sword is more medium if you want it to grow, in low light ... like my tank ... they just don't grow.

Those combos are awful. I've never seen a true aqautic in them.

Look at the solo potted plants. Among them I can often find anubias, micro sword, amazon sword, and various crypts. Most of the plants in this section are true aquatics in my store, and have tags with their names on them.

The bunched plants are cheaper but don't have tags to indentify them. Among them I can usually find java ferns, and also banana plant, which is easy to indentify by the banana like bunch at the bottom.

The plants in the plastic tubes are usually overpriced and non aquatic, however I often pennywort in that section, which is a true aquatic that is a fast grower that seems to do well in most any light.

Draceana=dragon tree (house plant)

Spathyphyllum=Peace Lily (house plant)

Ophiopogon= Mondo Grass (ground cover)

Trichomanes I'm not familiar with.
The top 2 do make a nice potted plant though, so it's not a total waste,
Put the Draceana somewhere where there's bright, indirect light, the Spathypyllum will work in low light.
and the mondo can also work in a pot outdoors, or if you get a bunch more of them it really is a very pretty ground cover. Get them at a garden center though, they're much cheaper there!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom