Petco,petsmart or wal-mart fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fishie said:
Thanks! Just wondering what you woulda gone to don't have to many choices to pick from I live in GA near Gainesville
I know thats north east of Atlanta but if you're ever around Atlanta they have some AWESOME mom and pop fish stores with a great variety of everything you could ever imagine.

It all depends on what I'm looking for.

If I'm looking for neon tetras or any small, easily available popular fish, I go to chains. They have the best prices and sometimes have some great deals. On Black Friday I got 30 neons and the last 4 cardinals for $.50 each. I have 2 QT tanks set up (one downstairs, one upstairs) The down side is that sometimes the stock isn't so great but they are good about returns. Plus I know their district managers real well now after filing quite a few complaints about various things.

If I'm looking for unusual I'll hit up my mom & pop stores. Both of them know us real well and will even email or call me when they have something they think I might want. They both have lists of my tanks and stocking, so they keep me in mind.

As many have said, it all comes down to where you are, what the employees know and how much they care, and how well they keep their fish.

I will usually prefer mom-n-pop stores over any other place. My favorite knows me quite well by now and is always giving me discounts on stuff I buy, which I do appreciate.

If I just HAD to choose a chain store, it would be Petco. Although you can compare two here very well. Both are about a twenty minute drive away, so it's easy to compare which one is better.

The first Petco is sorta budding to the level of a mom-n-pop LFS but is not quite there yet. It tries to well-inform employees but probably would just end up giving them bad advice anyway. Last time I visited (which was a long time ago, I don't really like going to that one since they don't know a lot) is that a Petco employee was giving advice to a lady and her two kids about why their fish died. Although she asked if the tank was cycled, she ended up giving them the wrong advice about how all the bacteria is in the water. THEN she took out some test strips, put them in the water, they came out perfect, and said "That's what you want your water to look like"
Well....I wasn't very happy after that. Then she noticed me, helped me get a few fish, and started talking to me about her tank. THEN she pointed to a tank full of CAEs and said "I have two of those in my tank, love em!" I politely asked, "But won't they get too big for the tank?" And her reply was, "Nah, they'll just grow to the size of the ten gallon!"

At that point I simply left.

The other Petco is A LOT better. They have a nice variety of freshwater fish and will even get some unusual things from time to time. Although they have a few tanks with dead fish in them, as most Petcos may have, they keep the fish healthy and there are no signs of sickness. They have a variety of supplies, including some sweet T5HO fixtures, a selection of bulbs, hydrometers, salt mixes, API Test Kits, sweet stock on AC Filters and Aquaeon Pro heaters, even sand which the mom-n-pop LFSs around here never have.
They also have a small saltwater section dedicated to the store. I can't judge since I'm not saltwater, but it was pretty good for a Petco. They had one part of the freshwater fish section dedicated to a small, but decent, selection of saltwater fish. Regular pajama cardinals, ocellaris clowns, coral beauty, gobies. And although I don't speak for them and am not accurate since I am not SW, the fish looked in good shape.
They ALSO had a frag tank, which was pretty sweet. It was full of all asssortments of corals, though I can't remember which, I just remember it was awesome. They also had two levels of it, so there was corals on the bottom of the tank, and then a sort of bridge that held the high-light or high-flow corals. In addition, they kept some of their rarest fish in there too. I saw a mandarin goby, juvenille fox face fish, even a pair of firefish and an anthias in there on several occassions!
They also have a few cool display tanks. The best one is their 29G biocube, which is sweet, packed with corals, LR, even a real anenome! My only complaint is that I saw a tang in there (at least I think it was, perhaps a bigger variety of angel instead).
They also had a Fluval Edge, but it wasn't that good. They had a school of neon tetras, a DG and a betta, and a pair of platies in there. It looked quite overstocked to me.
They also have a decent plant section. Not anything rare or unusual, just your standard swords, mosses, java fern, anacharis, and the regular non-aquatic plants that come.
Will I be coming there again? YES!

Thanks! Just wondering what you woulda gone to don't have to many choices to pick from I live in GA near Gainesville

If you're in Georgia, I would recommend HN1 and severum mamma. They are both members on here with excellent stock and plants. Just got my second order from them and I couldn't be more pleased. I easily could have went to petco or any of the other LFS's and got what I ordered but the quality is not the same.

severum mama said:
I live in Cumming. I'd just about bet that Gainesville is a 1 day ship from here... if for any reason you are not comfortable with your local selection. :cool:

I lived in Cumming about 10 years ago!

Petco I heard is amazing..... I bought 12fish from petco to this day none survived.....and walmart has the lowest prices but not enough selection...

Where I live there's not alot of choices. I have one guy in town that breeds fish. (They're mostly larger cichlids and plants.) Or I can drive into the city around 45mins to either Big Als or pisces pet emporium. The walmart there doesn't sell fish anymore, just food and some decorations. I keep hoping for a pet store to open up here in town that will have fish too.

Jesse18 said:
Truly I would go to a mom an pop store then the other 3 im kinda lucky bc I live near one of the best mom and pop stores in Maryland House of tropics! :) but the other 3 stores are good to buy supplies if the LFS is to high

Cool i go there too. But their prices are really high

I was in Walmart yesterday and I was so shocked to see the the employee was having such a hard time getting the fish out for the customer that the customer had to take over and get it themselves. I have read other threads of that happening and really didn't believe it until I saw it for myself. WOW!

I was in Walmart yesterday and I was so shocked to see the the employee was having such a hard time getting the fish out for the customer that the customer had to take over and get it themselves. I have read other threads of that happening and really didn't believe it until I saw it for myself. WOW!

Our Wal-Mart didn't even want to mess with having someone come over to help us get fish...so they showed us where the supplies were so we could just get our own! Self serve fish!!!

Retired_AF said:
As many have said, it depends. I travel across the country on occasion and try to spend some time in pet stores when my wife is (ugh) shopping. I have seen good and bad in all varieties of stores including chain pet stores, big box stores and the mom and pop outfits.

I am fortunate in my home area. The PetSmart has 2 really good people working in the aquatics section. The PetCo has a young man there that is a real fish enthusiast. One of the local stores has been there for 30 years, so they are very good. And, finally, the Walmart in the next town over has a good man there that happens to be my son. He tells me about how people mess up his tanks and it really upsets him. He isnt afraid to tell people if there is a problem with some of the fish or if they are making poor choices.

Best reasons to go to them (at least my local ones)?
PetSmart - lots of good fish on sale almost every week.
PetCo - Some selection that PetSmart doesnt have
Wet Pets - More 'different' varieties of fish like my strawberry and jade tiger barbs.
WalMart - Best prices for fish food and occasionally some decorations. Their selection isnt much different than PetSmart but the fish cost more there.

Wet pets? Any chance your in Oklahoma?

My only options are Walmart 1, Walmart 2, Friendly Fins, and Petzone. Petzone's quality is the best, but their prices are highest and they are quite a drive. Friendly Fins is a dumpy petshop which is filled with puppy mill puppies and overcrowded rodent tanks, and everything is overpriced. Lowest quality fish. Walmart 1 has a better selection than Walmart 2, but Walmart 2 has healthier fish and is a closer drive. Prices are the same. I usually end up going to Walmart 2 if I need anything pet-related, unless it's something I can't get there. Then I make the longer drive to Petzone, and buy a betta or two while I'm there. :)

We had a local petshop once that only lasted a couple months. They didn't even have time to get their aquariums set up. I was bummed out. I suppose that's what happens in a tiny town.

I almost forget there's a petshop downtown. Puppy mill puppies, mostly empty dirty tanks, and dusty stock that looks like it is either years old or part of a fire sale. Used to go there for some supplies when I had a rabbit, they had the best price on bedding fluff, and I have found some good filters and heaters there. But I only go there now as a last resort because of how they treat their animals. They had an 8-foot ball python for sale, Eugene, who was kept in a 3x3x3 foot wire cage. No bedding, just bare wire, and there was always one or two shed skins in there. Only had a tiny heat lamp. Never really saw him move, he looked miserable. He was there for at least a year and then was gone, but I highly doubt anyone bought him. Pretty sure he died in his little prison, and I wish I had called animal control on them. He was immediately replaced by an albino python if the same size in the same cage and I never went back there. I wish I had the $800 they wanted for him to give him a good home, despite my apartment having a strict no snakes policy.

I Have never been to a petco, And The fish I have seen from petspmart look good, But I'd rather go with wal-mart. Our local wal-mart no longer sells fish, but when they did they are the longest and healthiest fish we have ever had. Like I have a white skirt that lived almost 6-7 from there.

Greater-Ajax said:
I Have never been to a petco, And The fish I have seen from petspmart look good, But I'd rather go with wal-mart. Our local wal-mart no longer sells fish, but when they did they are the longest and healthiest fish we have ever had. Like I have a white skirt that lived almost 6-7 from there.

Wow, that's pretty rare. Just about every Walmart I've seen with fish made me want to scream, or just cry.

I went to Walmart 2 today to get a tank heater and a test kit. They had more dead fish than live ones, but all in all, they really didn't have very many fish (they restock tomorrow). I managed to aquire a dead neon while I was there, so that helps my new tank, anywho. They had a gorgeous emerald green female betta with its entire tail missing and a reddish stump showing instead. I wanted her really bad but didn't have any place to put her. :(

In my opinion petsmart is great. Been buying fish from the for three years and never got the first sick fish until recently when ick showed up two days after a new purchase.

RedFlame said:
**Update** For sure Petsmart, I love them they give me free mts and pond snails which keeps my assassins fat and happy.

Lucky!!! I'm starting to like petco. :)

Back
Top Bottom