Petco sand opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to re-do my Spec 5 which is a shrimp only tank. I definitely want to have black sand and have 2 options: PetCo's brand or Carib Sea Tahitian Moon. I've used the latter and do like it, going with PetCo would save me ~$12. Any opinions on the PetCo sand?

I have used the petco sand on a shrimp and betta tank, bought it a year or 2 ago. I love it and would use it again.

I have used the petco sand on a shrimp and betta tank, bought it a year or 2 ago. I love it and would use it again.

Thanks so much! Really just want something basic and if I can save some money that's a bonus.

The petco sand is easier for the shrimp to fling around. The moon sand is a little sharper. The petco sand can float a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I meant to reply about this on my shrimpy thread. Consistent, black color. Not as black as activated carbon granules IMO but it is still pretty dark. Not shiny. Goes well with the painted back wall of the tank. Uniform grain size. Yes, floaters as mentioned above. It is lightweight so use precautions as with any sand and HOB filter. Oh, and it's inexpensive.
Do not over rinse it. With the garden hose full blast on jet setting I think I was a bit rough on this the first time I used it (last year). It left a black, fine residue on my hands while stirring the sand in a bucket with the hose.
Shrimp and poop should stay on top of this. I am using a wafer thin layer of it so I really cannot comment on how well it works with plants.
Scuds should have no problem burrowing in this.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A little bit of sand floated but it went away after a week and never happened again.

Well, the spouse came home with a bag of black sand from PetSmart, which is National Geographic brand. Reviews on the store's website are very good so I hope it's similar.

Both 5g have this, I love it. I dumped it in a bowl and let the water overrun, taking the loosest of the floating sand with it. Worked very well! I do vacuum it, just need to keep the hose at an angle.

Bit late to the party..

I got 2 bags of black Petco sand one time for a tank build and that is still the only sand to this day I didn't even have to rinse. I had some floaters like all sand but that sand was clean as could be no rinsing needed.

Caleb

I use black in the 16, and I have not had any problems with it! Did float for a day or so in the beginning but once you touch it it sinks back down to the bottom, so I just went with a spoon and did a swirling motion in the tank. That sunk most of it. Just rinse it like normal sand too. I use the white sand in my 5.5, no complaints either :)

I use black in the 16, and I have not had any problems with it! Did float for a day or so in the beginning but once you touch it it sinks back down to the bottom, so I just went with a spoon and did a swirling motion in the tank. That sunk most of it. Just rinse it like normal sand too. I use the white sand in my 5.5, no complaints either :)

Good to know in advance, I had the same situation with the Tahitian moon sand.

I used the black sand in my planted shrimp bowl, and i haven't had any problems. It did float a bit when I was cleaning it and when the bowl was newly set up, which was annoying, but it settled down after a while.

Back
Top Bottom