Petite Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missrapunzel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a freshwater tropical tank in the middle/end of November. It had already been set up and the guy had an angelfish in it, among other fish including an aggressive, dominant rainbow shark (who has a new home now). My angelfish was rather skittish when I got it, but is now completely healthy, eats fine, weight is fine and is very friendly, especially to people who come and watch it :) The only things is, it's tiny - only about quarter size; it was that size when I got it over two months ago and hasn't grown at all. Is it possible to stunt angelfish growth, or is there something I'm over looking. My water is a little alk for it (about 7.5, we're on well water, which is nice as there is no chlorine), but my nitrite and nitrate levels are 0, so the water quality isn't an issue - the Angelfish just isn't growing. Any thoughts?

Even if there's no chlorine, there's other minerals and heavy metals that have to be neutralized.
Also, what foods are you feeding him?

The water does tend towards the hard side, but I have things I put in it to neutralize the minerals, and I have been mixing RO water into it. I feed my Angelfish a mix of various flake foods (I read that it's good to feed fish various types of flakes) and frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp and the occasional piece of prawn. Once in a while I get it a treat of living worms - its favorite.

The water does tend towards the hard side, but I have things I put in it to neutralize the minerals, and I have been mixing RO water into it. I feed my Angelfish a mix of various flake foods (I read that it's good to feed fish various types of flakes) and frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp and the occasional piece of prawn. Once in a while I get it a treat of living worms - its favorite.
What size tank is it in, and what size tank was it in when you bought it?

Sorry, forgot to post that - it's in a 30 gallon tank that's about 20in high - same tank I bought it in.

I bought a freshwater tropical tank in the middle/end of November. It had already been set up and the guy had an angelfish in it, among other fish including an aggressive, dominant rainbow shark (who has a new home now). My angelfish was rather skittish when I got it, but is now completely healthy, eats fine, weight is fine and is very friendly, especially to people who come and watch it :) The only things is, it's tiny - only about quarter size; it was that size when I got it over two months ago and hasn't grown at all. Is it possible to stunt angelfish growth, or is there something I'm over looking. My water is a little alk for it (about 7.5, we're on well water, which is nice as there is no chlorine), but my nitrite and nitrate levels are 0, so the water quality isn't an issue - the Angelfish just isn't growing. Any thoughts?

Your Nitrates are zero? Are you sure? I would expect some Nitrate reading in a fully cycled tank.

Ooop, looked at the wrong line for that (I keep a record of my water tests). The Nitrite and Chlorine are 0, but the Nitrate is 20ppm - thanks for catching that!

I have had angels for a long time. One of my tanks has an angel that tends to be a very slow grower. He's a bit bigger then yours. I have had him for a year and a half now. Water conditions are great but he just grows at a slower rate. Sometimes it takes me a while to realize he has actually grown. As long as you keep yours in a healthy environment and limit stress from other fish I would t worry a out his slow growing. Or hers i have never mastered the art of sexing angels! It's very difficult!

Back
Top Bottom