pets or pests?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Malaysian trumpet snails?

In trying to research good snails I have come across contradictory info on these guys.

Oh really? Because they come with plants as hitchhikers or because they are needed for algae or....?

because they perform the same function as earthworms in gardens more or less - stirring up the gravel and keeping nitrogen gas from building up. They also eat dead and decaying plant matter and excess food. I'm not sure how much algae they eat, but at night, I see them come out and crawl on my glass and plants.

tbonem91 said:
because they perform the same function as earthworms in gardens more or less - stirring up the gravel and keeping nitrogen gas from building up. They also eat dead and decaying plant matter and excess food. I'm not sure how much algae they eat, but at night, I see them come out and crawl on my glass and plants.

Do they overpopulate the same way as pondsnails and the ramshorns do?

Elle2 said:
tbonem91 said:

Do they overpopulate the same way as pondsnails and the ramshorns do?

IME MTS only reproduce to the sustainable food source - I've never seen an infestation where they continually reproduce unless there is an incredible amount of plant matter in/on the substrate.

pond and ramshorns oth seem more like bunnies and will reproduce endlessly. I think apple snails will also multiply like rabbits.

I have an outbreak of them in my tanks. If anyone ever needs them, I am the one to call. I actually like them beacuse it keeps the gas pockets from forming. Plus, it's something cool to look at in the morning when the lights first click on.

Please elaborate more on the nitrogen and gas pockets? I feel so ignorant not knowing what exactly this refers to. TY

Sand and small gravel will form gas pockets if not aerated. The gas pockets can be lethal to fish when let out.
MTS aerate the sand by going into the substrate and moving it around.

The gas, hydrogen sulfide, is formed by anaerobic bacteria in areas of the substrate that don't get O2. MTS burrow their way through the substrate, allowing oxygenated water to move through the bed. I have some in my planted 10 gallon shrimp tank, they don't run amok like the ramshorns. My 55 community tank, no live plants, plenty of excess food, is another story. Even there, though, they are useful for keeping the gravel bed cleaner. Occaisonally, one will jam an impeller in the hob filters, but not very often.

I think the deciding factor should be what substrate you have. If you have a "sandy" substrate they will burrow under during the day and come out at night to clean your tank. (Ideal for a "Janitor")

But in a tank with regular gravel they cannot burrow as much and will run all over the place and be more of a nuisance.

I have not heard others confirm this (yet.... anyone???), but it has been very true for my tanks.

They burrow equally well through gravel, sand, eco-complete, etc. They mostly stay out of sight by day, surfacing after the lights go out.

Thanks a ton for explaining.

Anaerobic bacteria: bacteria not requiring oxygen (that much I know:))

As stated above, mts don't over-run a tank like those little hitch-hikers that come in on plants. They only multiply enough to cover the janitorial duties. As for mine, I never see them, except on occasion. Not even at night. I have a bunch in my 55G with pool filter sand, and a bunch in my 75G with Eco complete. And it's rare they even come out. Now I can see why with the loaches in the 75G, but there's no real threats to them in the 75G. I still don't see any, other than when one surfaces on occasion and then re-buries itself.

I have MTS in all 3 of my tanks. I purposely put them in the 10 gallon to stir up the sand. I dumped some babies in the 37 gallon for my zebra loaches but they didn't all get eaten and we see them when we gravel vac. In my third tank with black sand substrate I have only seen 2 but assume there are probably more underneath. I also have nerite snails and red ramshorn and think they are all neat :)

My tank is heavily planted and I have a combo of ramshorns and MTS. I have them for all the reasons noted above. I'm always looking for more MTS because they are better for the health of the tank.

Its the small ramshorns (Planorbarius corneus) that you have, right JChillin ? Those are the good ones. The big ones (Marisa cornuarietis) are BAD for planted tanks as they eat the plants. I learned that one from you, and just wanted to clarify the thread in case anyone looks into getting some themselves.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I have two mystery snails and two MTS snails on the way. I also finally found a BN pleco yesterday! I can't believe it... my tank is almost done.

Back
Top Bottom