PetSmart 60 Gallon Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bhunsucker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Our local PetSmart has their brand glass aquarium 60 gallon on sell for 99.00. Does anyone know anything about these tanks as far a quality and who the manufacture is on these.

Thanks

prolly all glass, 60 gallon tank for 99 bucks isn't bad at all, the new pet land we just got in hada deal on 55 gallon tanks with no hoods or anything for 88 bucks, and the other pet store across the street has 38 gallon tanks with no hoods or anything for 75 bucks

From what I have seen Petsmart and Petco only usually sell All-Glass. All-Glass tanks are all I have ever owned and never had a problem.

except for the weight when carrying it, what would be the advantages/disadvantages of glass over plastic tanks?

Glass dosn't scrach when cleaning it as bad as the plastic dose. A;so to plastic just dosn't have the same look . imo

i somewhat recently purchased a 55 gal kit from petsmart, with the hoods, lights, filter, and heater for $150.

my quality's fine, but does yours come with a hood and everything, or just the tank,

remember a hood and light for a tank that big is like $30 each, and of course you'll need a bigger filter and heater, (recently my petsmart dropped the prices of the penguin biofilters (penguin 350 for $40) and a 200 watt heater is say $20.
$99
$30 (2x)
$40
$20
-----

for what its worth, a 55 gal starter kit (only 5 gallon less) for $150, you could save yourself $40 for and have almost the same size, and have extra money to buy substrate and fish

Well I've got a 55 gallon that i got used over a year ago. The seals on the tank are starting to come loose inside the tank so I've got everything that I would need for that setup without purchasing additional equipment. I just needed to know about the quality of it.

My Petsmart has 2 options.

Top Fin Tank with Hood & Lights
Top Fin Start Kit with Tank, Hood, Lights, Filter & Heater and some chemcials I think (dechlor)

Unfortunately, they don't sell just the tank, thats what I want. I want to customize my tank and I don't want to buy their light hoods which probably don't even support high wattage bulbs.

Alshain...yes i bought the 55 gal starter kit from petsmart, i just checked the light they gave me 15 W (maybe i read that, just wrong 15 watts? thats it?) flourescent light.

...so if you already have everything, you'd save on the 60 gal (good luck finding a 60 stand though, ive never seen on)

otherwise the petsmart tank works nice for me...

hc8719 said:
Alshain...yes i bought the 55 gal starter kit from petsmart, i just checked the light they gave me 15 W (maybe i read that, just wrong 15 watts? thats it?) flourescent light.

...so if you already have everything, you'd save on the 60 gal (good luck finding a 60 stand though, ive never seen on)

otherwise the petsmart tank works nice for me...

No that sounds about right, which is exactly why I don't want to waste money on their light hoods. 2x 15 watt bulbs (T8 I think) gives you 30 watts which is not enough light to grow any plants at all. You need at least 45W just to get up to low light on a 55 gallon standard tank. I'd be willing to bet you can't put bulbs greater than 15W in them either.

actually i have 3 live plants, the lights work fine for me, remember flourescent is brighter than condescent at any wattage (ex. 15W Flourescent is more brighter than 15W condescent)

i mean if you want to nuke your plants (and fish) in light, the 45W is optional

beside if you have any top feeders, they have to stare into the bright lights durring feeding, you think thats good for them?

It should be the same length as the 55 gallon (48in) so it should fit on the stand that I currently have. I will measure it before I get it.

hc8719 said:
actually i have 3 live plants, the lights work fine for me, remember flourescent is brighter than condescent at any wattage (ex. 15W Flourescent is more brighter than 15W condescent)

i mean if you want to nuke your plants (and fish) in light, the 45W is optional

beside if you have any top feeders, they have to stare into the bright lights durring feeding, you think thats good for them?

Actually I was basing it on Wizard~of~Oz's theory. Using his theory you would need 55 watts of incandecent lighting to equal approximately 32 watts of T8 flourecent. Basically with 30W of T8 lighting, you have 1 WPG which is considered low light. If you have 3 plants doing fine on 2 15 watt T8 bulbs in a 55 gallon tank then they are probably low light plants. I want to be able to grow high light plants. Which is why my search for a tank without spending extra on worthless (to me anyway) lighting fixtures continues :(

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/nav/tanks_and_kits/index.html
That's a deal. Seems this particular one is a Perfecto.
A LFS had a promotion where he'd take any tank as trade in towards the purchase of a new one.
Some examples of trade-in w/o or w/ hood was
$3 for 5.5 gallon
$10 for 7 gallon bowfront w/hood
$5 for 10 gallon $5 for hood
$15 for 10 gallon hex w/hood
$15 for 20 gallon high or long $10-15 for hood
$20 for a 25 gallon $10 for hood
$25 for a 29 gallon $15 for hood
and so on
Spring clean up in my town was mid-April until mid May, 4 Mondays, 4 wards. He told me a kid traded in over $200 worth of perfectly good tanks he picked up curbside with a wheelbarrow. Mostly 10's but tanks all of these sizes he found. Amazing how much we throw away.
The kid got himself a 55 gallon, cover, light and iron stand with no cash involved, for about 20 hours work. How many other kids addicted to video games would do this?

Back
Top Bottom