Pfs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it Pfs or just regular sandbox sand because I have herd Pfs is finer then play sand just want to make sure

Lunchbox209 said:
Is it Pfs or just regular sandbox sand because I have herd Pfs is finer then play sand just want to make sure

Its pure pfs. Here is a pic of it. Dont use playsand. I have heard bad things about that stuff

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110911_015114.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110911_015114.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 63
my home depot doesnt sell pfs so i got play it seems ok

Play sand can be hit and miss. Most PS is from local supply, so it MAY have carbonates in it that will mess with your pH. The local play sand where I live is an unattractive yellow color, so I don't use it.

Pool filter sand should be a little more consistent as it has a much more specialized purpose.

Have to agree with o.jonathan.o ..... Do not use Playsand ... it's usually finer than PFS and tends to cloud easily when disturbed. PFS is coarse enough to settle very quickly.

The trick to PFS is rinsing it thoroughly. There are a few tricks like putting it in a pillow case and running it underneath your shower. The finer dust passes through the pillowcase, but the PFS stays behind. A few members have tried it with success ... but the amount of time can vary.

I just boil PFS ... it's amazing how much dust boiling dislodges from the sand particles, even after boiling my PFS 3 times, there's still a bit of dust residue behind.

Also. All the playsand I have seen had tons of moisture in it which grows mold and mildew because the sand is dirty so that's another reason why I dont suggest playsand

I got mine from there for about ten dollars per fifty pounds. Out just varys on where you get it.

If I recall, the test is to dribble some vinegar over it. If it bubbles, it comtaines carbonate and will raise your pH

Lunchbox209 said:
I just bought a bag of Sand at lowes it said natural Monterey sand can I use this

That is sand from Mexico. Never heard anyone put it in a tank though. I believe its really fine

Back
Top Bottom