PH and foamy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brutz5

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two tanks and two issues. Tank #1 is a 30 gallon freshwater, already cycled. All levels are good except pH is 8.2. It is a community tank with 2 mollies, tetras, 2 Panda Cory's, one gourami, one angel and 4 danios. I was concerned about the pH because I read that a community tank pH should be about 7.0 so I added some pH down, which I wish I would've researched more than I did. Now I would do it differently, but that's water under the bridge. Issue is a have a ton of foam and bubbles now in my tank. My fish are doing great though. Could the chemical pH down have caused that? Should I just give it some time to resolve itself or will it hurt my fish?
Issue #2 .. second tank is 55 gallon, freshwater tropical. It is brand new and being cycled with a couple of platys and a couple cherry barbs. It's just a few days old so all levels are good except my pH which is 8.4. the tank hasn't started cycling yet but am getting a little bit of foam on top of this tank too. I used my old media for this tanks filter but have not used any chemicals in this tank. Will this pH hurt my fish? What should I do about these pHs?

I run around 8.4 in all three of my tanks. I haven't had any issues. Fish adapt to the pH.

Your fish will stay fine. PH down chemicals always crash the pH. Because eventually your ph will go up again. Use driftwood to reduce pH but I never care for pH because fish are very adaptable specially your fish are hardy.

I feel more at ease with my pH now so I'll just leave things alone and possibly add a piece of driftwood later. Thx for the advice!!

Back
Top Bottom