pH and softness question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ssimpson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm just researching setting up my first tank, looking at 90 gallon FOWLR.
I have well water - we have a brand new filtration system + UV + softener, so the water quality is consistent. It has low pH though, and I'm not sure on the effect of the water softener.
From professional analysis of the tap water after going through the system:
pH = 6.54
hardness < 2 PPM CaCo3
nitrate < 0.2 ppm
magnesium < 1 ppm
total dissolved solids 160 (v. low)

All the info I read shows most saltwater fish needing pH in the low 8 range, but also that as long as pH is consistent it's not that critical.
It also has very low hardness, but that's due to the water softener - not naturally soft.
So am I OK with this water for my tank, or am I going to have to do anything to water, or are there certain fish I need to avoid given this makeup of water.

TDS needs to be 0ppm or you will have algae problems. I would recommend an RO/DI unit. Or maybe just DI added to your system.

Will try filtration

Thanks. I have additional filtration that hasn't been put in line for my whole house system, including particle and carbon filter. I'll buy my aquarium water testing equipment, double check the readings, put in those filters and see what effect that has. Hopefully that'll be enough and I won't need an RO filter specifically for my tank water but we'll see. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

If it becomes necessary you can get a small RO/DI unit on eBay. I bought mine for $65 and it makes up to 75 gallons/day if the well pressure stays above 40 psi. I didnt run my RO/DI unit that long so I only made about 20 gallons/day to mix my saltwater. I added a dual TDS meter I bought from BRS so I could check the water to verify it was working properly.

Back
Top Bottom