Ph climbing after set up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stewy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all, So I am scratching my head trying to figure out what is going on here. I just set up my new 240 gallon freshwater a couple of days ago. After taking a few days to get my FX6 set and placed, I spent three hours cleaning gravel and started filling the tank. The water in my area has been relatively consistent at about 7.6 Ph and never had a problem with my previous tank. Now my tank has been up and running for about 3 days and I checked the parameters this morning to find, as I expected, Nitrates 0, Nitrites 0, Ammonia 0.25 ppm and the one that confused me 8.2 Ph. Now all that is in the tank is 200 pounds of gravel and a couple decorations. My first thought is the decorations. I am planning on pulling these out today and doing a bucket test to see if that is it. Can anyone think of anything else that might be the cause? Also...if I can not figure it out, I have heard that driftwood will naturally bring down Ph. is this true and a reliable method to help level Ph? Thanks a ton, you guys always come through.

Here are my decorations...generic.

Attachments

• CIMG0056.jpg
    CIMG0056.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 53
  • CIMG0059.jpg
    CIMG0059.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 61
Thanks...still looking into a few things on woods and plants. I have never kept live plants before.

Back
Top Bottom