pH controller calibration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mohican

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do I use distilled water or purified water to mix with calibration packets? The directions never said; I may have missed it though.

Is it a powder or a liquid?

If a powder, I would figure you need to start with a blank slate... RO/DI from a good source.

If a liquid and in small packets, you just rip off the top and jam in the probe. I have a bottle so I pour a little into a clean container.

It was liquid packets, it was so easy. Thanks for the response.

2 point, 4 and 7. It came with both packets. Just dip, quick dial and done. Plan on getting regulator on tomorrow night.

If my current pH is 7.6, should I lower it a tenth (0.1) each day for total of 6 days to gradually lower to 7.0?

Lowering it to a specific pH doesn't mean much, the charts are way too inaccurate considering all the variables. Increase CO2 slightly each day until your drop checker holds a nice steady green. That is the pH you will want to set your controller at.

blert said:
Lowering it to a specific pH doesn't mean much, the charts are way too inaccurate considering all the variables. Increase CO2 slightly each day until your drop checker holds a nice steady green. That is the pH you will want to set your controller at.

That's exactly how I set mine.

If your pH is 7.6 I'd probably start at 7.2 and see where the drop checker goes. You can easily adjust the controller after that but I doubt it'll be to much. Mine runs around 7.3 without co2 and I have it set to 6.6.

I just wanted to gradually bring it down for the fish; don't want to forget about them, lol. I'll gradually bring it down and compare to drop checker. The checker has its own solution. Should I use that? Don't think I have high pH bottle.

I just wanted to gradually bring it down for the fish; don't want to forget about them, lol. I'll gradually bring it down and compare to drop checker. The checker has its own solution. Should I use that? Don't think I have high pH bottle.

Three or four drops of LOW range pH juice and fill the rest of the way with 4dKH solution.

Yes, very correct, don't forget about the fish. Bring it down slowly.

Thanks for the tip blert, that's just what I was looking for.

For future calibration, can I get hydroponic solutions and use them to calibrate the pH probe (4 and 7)? Saw it was cheap on amazon. I could use a little each time and save the rest. Also, the 2 packets that I used to perform initial calibration, can the solution be re-used?

You can use whatever you like to calibrate so long as you can guarantee that the pH of the solution is true.

The small packets are one time use. After opening them they will become contaminated and the pH will therefore change.

What pH controller are you guys using? I can't seem to find any that work with the actual CO2 system. Just ones that you stick in the water.

I got the "new" cream colored one and it has 1 plug for power. 1 quick connect for the actual probe and another plug in with a "outlet" on the back side. This is where you plug in your regulator/solenoid into. This is what kicks the CO2 on/off. Does that help?

I got the "new" cream colored one and it has 1 plug for power. 1 quick connect for the actual probe and another plug in with a "outlet" on the back side. This is where you plug in your regulator/solenoid into. This is what kicks the CO2 on/off. Does that help?

That makes sense now. Thanks.

No problem! Glad that made sense. I found directions a little vague too... or maybe I just over think things. I saw some diagrams online and it just kind of clicked.

Back
Top Bottom