PH & Hard water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerryO

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I am nearing the end of my cycle and am wondering about my other water parameters before I add fish.

My PH is 8.0 and has been stable there for 30 days. (API test kit)

My Hardness is High (4) on a 1(very soft)-5(very hard) test strip scale (I do not have an API hardness test in the master kit and have not purchased one yet).

I konw everyone says that the fish will adapt as long as the PH is stable but is 8 too high and should I try to bring it down? If so, I would rather avoid chemiclas since upkeep usually means continuously adding more chemicals, so what should I use. (or are chemicals for PH ok?)

I also konw fish tolerance plays a part and I am looking at
Neon tetra
betta
BN pleco or clown pleco.

I keep otocinclus and neon tetras in 8 ph and water much harder than probably what you have. Both otos and tetras are best kept in 6.5-7 ph and I'm having no problems.

i wouldnt mess wit it. i have kept all those in my tap which is prob very close to yours.

I have my BN pleco and bloodfin and black neon tetras in water with a 7.8ph and GH at 347, havent had a problem. I noticed that with the addintion of CO2 that these numbers have fallen.

A pH is fine. I've had guppies/danios/bloodfins in a pH of 8.2 to 8.4 for about 6 months. They've been fine. Again, stable is better. I wouldn't go much higher than that though.

Your water isn't bad at all (very much like mine) and should pose no problems with any of the fish you mentioned.

I wouldn't mess with it at all.

Back
Top Bottom