PH, Hardness, Params...Guaranteed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derail

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've been thinking for a while now, that what I've been researching about the parameters of a tank setup isn't necessarily as strict as most sites/books/magazines seem to make it out to be. I have a friend with a 75 gal and 150 gal with a bichir (senegal) and a pair of jaguar cichlids and an oscar (former in 75 and latter in 150), and we've been discussing tank setup and maintenance.
He fills his tanks up with a waterhose, and lightly treats with chemicals to remove heavy metals, harmful chemicals, etc.
I, vigorously maintain with start zyme, aqua safe, etc.
On to the point: My PH stays constant at 8.2, Hardness...well where I live, the water is extremely hard, about 280 GH, and the Alkalinity (buffers if you will) are rather high too, so the PH doesn't go down.
I refuse to use chemicals to alter hardness/ph and ammonia as I have heard that once you start using them, there is really no stopping. Ammonia is never a problem, and my nitrites and nitrates are in check.
I keep Guppies and Mollies (and a CAE), and they are all thriving in these water parameters. I've gotten to where I have to give away the babies lol.
My friend's Bichir, Oscar and Jags have no problem either, even when he had to do an emergency tank change because his daughter broke one.
Obviously the recommended parameters for fish are important (and certainly for the more sensitive fish such as discus and certain chariciforms, this is more important), but I've noticed that if properly acclimated, fish can survive and even thrive with little trouble.
Wanting to post this, of course, to see if other people have similar experiences, or if my buddy and I are two lucky guys since our fish survive outside their recommended parameters well.
Guppy: PH 7-7.5, Molly: PH 7-8, and so on. I believe the hardness for guppies is much lower than what my water is.
Anyway, let's see your stories, or rebuttals if I'm just foolish.

PS: Got a Betta, Sonny, thriving in the same water.

This is of great interest to me, as I have crunchy water of ph of 8.6, and most freshwater fish I want to are not from such habitats!
I thank you for posting this.

i have also heard over and over that fish will adjust to some extent. So far I have not had problems with fish not doing well/not spawning in my tanks if they came from a reputable source and have been drip acclimated, but i purposefully select fish known to be forgiving about water parameters. I have livebearers as well as corydoras, harlequin rasboras, pearl gouramis, pristella tetras, BNPs, RCS, mystery snails. Those are all fairly easygoing species. I do not see myself choosing "picky" or "sensitive" fish anytime soon, but I may try out some cardinal tetras to see how they do.

Pete M. (lotsoffish) informed me that he bought "nice" GBRs from a breeder in my town a few years ago. I wonder who he was and if he raised his rams in my local water, unmodified?!
So, that reassured me that water parameters don't matter as much as water quality and the health of the fish.

Haha absolutely; I've noticed also that the only fish I've had that perished were fish that prefer slightly acidic water (tetras specifically PH 6.5-7 preferred), but even then I think they were killed by stress from the CAE and my lack of skill at that time (had them with two common goldfish for crying out loud!)
BTW, set up is a 30 gallon with plenty of fry, three guppies, CAE and a ghost shrimp (was two but one ate the other).
Crunchy water, I'm assuming means liquid rock like mine, lol. I hear that African Cichlids are perfect for that.
Also have a 5 gallon with mollies (adults so the fry could live in peace). All doing great.
As for acclimation, I didn't even use drip method. Just put the bag in the water, scoop a few shot-fulls of water in every ten min and release after 40 min!

Cool to hear that. I think that recommended pH and water parameters given in books and website articles is misleading that could lead lots of people to mess with their pH and cause pH swings that can hurt their fish badly. Even nowadays captive-bred discus can adapt to mildly alkaline pH, I don't know if they will above 7.6 but I have heard of people keeping them successfully below. The only fish I'd worry about with pH would be the super sensitive fish, like chocolate gouramis, otos, etc.

pH is often overblown with many commonly available fish. Guppies, for instance, will breed in anything :p For the most part, fish can adapt to a wide range of water parameters, given that the water quality is good. However, there are many sensitive fish available as well. Discus, german rams, etc can be quite touchy, and to a lesser extent cardinals and some other tetras. Also, fish like african cichlids are well adapted to their environment and usually need more alkaline waters. People do tend to worry about water params more than necessary, but it's often not without reason.

For instance, I have hard water quite like yours, and while I keep various tetras and hatchetfish with success, I cannot for the life of me, keep german rams. I have gotten three healthy pairs, but they never make it past the month mark.

--Adeeb

I would like to add that I have kept otos for more than 3 months. That's been my biggest accomplishment.

I think Londoners have similar water parameters to the OP. I once prowled a british forum to see for myself and there were tons of posts regarding ph and hardness. Unless the aquarists wanted to keep discus or something else finicky, they didn't use RO water and let the fish adapt.

There was also lots of talk regarding some plants not growing well in hard water. I should look into that myself....

Back
Top Bottom