PH Importance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricoishere

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Speaking of PH, I think it killed one of my Elecric Blue Jack Dempsy'. A PH Spike over the last 2 days, up to 8-0 seems to have done him in. Any other experiences like this? I started readg this evening what causes PH Spikes. Should be interesting.

Immdiately 25% change, checked it agai, is now 7.0-7.2 I jst realized that EBJD did not eat today. It might be intimidated by its tankmates:

29G,
Parameters: Nitrate: 40; Amonia 0;Nitrite 0; PH 7.8-8.0!!
Planted, natural CO2,
Filter Eheim 2028 w/prefilter and UV Filter
Seachem Red Subsrate
Has wood for decor
25% water changes weekly
mates: 3 zebra loaches, 1 Bristlenose leco, 1 Chinese algae eater, 1 rainbow shark, several zebra snails

whats natural co2?

have you test your tap water? what kind of test kit? what ph is your tank normally?

Tap Water is 7.2 normally. The only change was over the weekend, I added a carbon pd to filter because I ended some algae treatment. Natural CO2 is mixture of sugar, yeast, water and is used for plants

I can tell you right now that a pH swing didn't kill your EBJD. 7.8-8.0 is not a bad pH to keep most fish in and I regularly have spawns from rams, angels, and discus, which are natively found in soft and acidic water. My hardness is 300ppm or more and the pH is 7.8-8.0 and I have high fertility with my rams and discus.

Ttrue. After doing some more reading, I'l just re-establish my other tank. Here apost from another site followed by my response:
Don't screw with your pH, it's fine where it's at. Mine is higher than that and my 2 EBJD's were raised in it and grew super fast. Messing with pH causes more problems than it ever solved. I agree with the poster that said your nitrate reading of 40 ppm is more of a problem than pH ever would be. That's high. Low nitrates (ie lots of water changes) is what makes fish grow fast. My 2 grew fast and did great for 9 months and then 1 died with no warning whatsoever. These aren't always the hardiest of fish and have quite a few problems.[/quote]
I agree with you 200%. I wont screw with the PH, just do 25% water changes every other day and reduce my stock. I guess I'll have to re-establish my other aquarium. It should do well. I might just have these in an aquarium all alone with a few loaches

Back
Top Bottom