PH IN TANK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimkass

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I HAVE WELL WATER AND WHEN IT COMES OUT OF THE FAUCET THE PH IS GOOD BUT AFTER IT AERATES IT GO WAY UP CANT GET IT DOWN. TRYED PH DOWN AND EASYBALANCE NEITHER ONE WORKS ANY SUGGESTIONS?

The change in PH is from the CO2 in the water gassing off. What is the PH and KH in the tank? It is probably nothing that needs worried about.

Welcome to AA!!! and please don't shout we can here you just fine.

Can you be more specific as to the values you get? both out of the tap and after it's been in the tank for 24 hours?

My PH from the tap is 7.0 after it is in the tank it goes up top to 8.6.
The people at the pet store keep telling me to try different things like the easybalance. changing the water and ph down none of this stuff has worked.

no I dont have rocks in my tank All I have in there are a few decorations I bought at the fish store.

What are the readings suppose to be for a cycled tank?

The fish store also told me the ph wont matter.

great question Sparky.

the pH isn't necessarily effected by a tank being cycled or not, it's generally just about the water supply.

8.6 is ok for many fish species. Just make sure you let water sit before you add it to the tank. Ph jumps are what can kill the fish, not high ph itself.

try a more natural way of raising and maitaing a stable PH, sounds like you need some more buffering, the PH raisers and decresers are very hard on your fish and tank, the wild ph swings really stress your fish out which can lower there immune systems and lead to illness thats ometime reslut in death

I hate to have to haul water from town to keep my fish alive. But it is looking like that is what I will have to do.

Not necessarily. Like Depot said, if you can set aside you water for your PWCs ahead of time it will stabilize on it's own.

24 hrs. add peat to the filter or a chunk of driftwood to bring it down naturally.

is there anything i have to do to driftwood before i put it in my tank?

If the pH change is from CO2, then the change is pH value will have no to very little effect on your fish. A change in KH will stress your fish and cause them to become ill. By trying to change your pH with buffers, you are changing the KH value. It is better to have a stable pH vs one that is changing based on the KH value. You do not have to let the water sit out to degas prior to adding it to your tank.

Having a pH of 8.6 would be a great tank to have african cichlids in!

Back
Top Bottom