Ph is too high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlemermaid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So my ph level in the aquarium is too high. I have no fish yet. It's a 10 gallon aquarium. It's at a 7.8 ph level. About how long will that take to go down using the ph decreasing liquid I bought?

7.8 is fine (mine tests at 8.2 out of the tap), as almost all fish will adapt to that. The key for ph is stability -- you just don't want it to fluctuate. I'd avoid using ph altering chemicals as many will cause swings that can harm/shock your fish. Driftwood, peat moss, RO water are all natural ways of lowering ph but honestly you don't really need to unless you're looking to house extremely delicate fish like discus, certain dwarf shrimps, etc.

The pH down products really do not help at all - as it wears off the pH will just climb right back up - the pH swing is more harmful in the 'high' pH in itself. That aside, almost all fish can tolerate a pH of 7.8. No need to use the chemicals, just be sure to acclimate the new fish well.

I would agree with both posts above. What fish are you trying to stock? I don't know much of any fish that ultimately requires anything under 7. You should be fine. And as said, stay away from the pH adjusting product. They are in fact toxic and very harmful.

I agree with azmodan and bud29. My pH level is a little high but that's just my tap water. I wouldn't use any chemicals on the water. I bought some pH Down for mine and it does nothing to decrease my pH level.

My tap is at 7.8, as is most of the tap in my area, and thus all the fish I get from my LFS are already used to that pH. If you're in doubt, ask your LFS for the pH on their tank water, and drip acclimate your purchases if needed.

Back
Top Bottom