PH issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biff2100

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

Anyone got any ideas as to why I'm finding it hard to control my PH. I use redsea reef foundation A,B,C and now I'm using waterlife PH buffer to try and drive up my PH but it's still sitting at PH7.8?

I've conducted all the norm test as follows.
SG: 1.025
Temp 23C
Ammonia: .25ppm
Calcium: 390 just topped up to 465mg/l
Nitrate:20ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Magnesium:1290 just topped up to 1390mg/l
Alkalinity 2.8meg/L Keep trying to top-up to 4.5 for my SPS using Reef Found B:banghead:

Any help or pointers would be great. I should say I norm do a 10% water change every 6 to 8 weeks.

Thanks

Do me a favor and check your PH about an hour before the lights go out. That will give a truer reading. Let us know what it is. Also salt water is a buffer. If I were you I would do a 10% PWC every two weeks. At the most every month. If you are going to go 6-8 weeks I would do 25% PWC`s. JMO

sorry the above reply was to another post:facepalm:
I think 10% every 2 weeks for a 500ltr tank is a bit to much.

10% every 2 weeks should be the minimum amount of water changes you do. I do about 15% every week on my 125g tank.

Do me a favor and check your PH about an hour before the lights go out. That will give a truer reading. Let us know what it is. Also salt water is a buffer. If I were you I would do a 10% PWC every two weeks. At the most every month. If you are going to go 6-8 weeks I would do 25% PWC`s. JMO

10% every 2 weeks should be the minimum amount of water changes you do. I do about 15% every week on my 125g tank.

+1 on what Mike and Larry have stated. Weekly pwc's are best, every two weeks+ if you have to.

Gents just to keep you updated I did a water change over the weekend sg is still a little high after the change (sg 1.027) ive just lowered this to .024 today, I will check the ph again tomorrow, something I did not say before is I do have a water trickle feed which comes direct from my ro unit. I think it could be this that is lowering my ph.

So you are using your RO/DI as an ATO? I'll assume there is some sort of float or something that makes sure it all doesn't overflow. I don't see how this would cause a issue with pH. If your pH is at 7.8 and you shoot for ~8 I don't see why we are worrying.

Yes I have a float system setup on my tank, I like my ph to be around ph8.2 which I get after a water change but then it drops no matter how much I put buff in! I was thinking maybe because the top up water ie not salted was lowering my ph?

Water without salt in it won't drop your pH. I'd put my money on that your pH is just going through a normal routine and that it is just fine. Check it right before lights out.

RO/DI water should be a neutral Ph of 7. What are you using to test Ph?
You are seeking stability as much as anything. At lower Ph levels, you need even more calcium saturation for corals.
In older tanks, it is hard to stay above 8.2 as there are so many organisms making C02, even with high Kh values.

One sure fire way to raise calcium and Ph levels is a Kalkwasser drip at night. I have also installed fans that kick on when Ph starts down to encourage good gas exchange in the system.

Back
Top Bottom