pH Level - 7.8-8.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sky-raptor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a tank that has been cycling for about a week and the pH level is arount 7.8-8.2. 8O There is nothing living in the tank right now. During 1/2 of the week, the pH was about 7.4-7.8 and it jumped today to about 7.8-8.2. What could be causing the pH level to rise? What can I did to lower the pH to 7.0?

Leave the ph alone until the cycle is done. It should settle out then. Once it settles keep in mind a steady ph is better than trying to acheive the "ideal"ph.

The added ammonia is prob messing up the pH (NH4 is basic) ..... not to worry, once your cycle is complete, the NH4 will be converted to NO3 - the H's released in the process will drive your pH back down.

Don't worry about the ph at all. Once you are completely cycled, and your ph stabalizes, we'll see where your ph is. And for the most part, you don't need to do anything about the ph, a stable ph is better than a perfect ph. And don't worry about what's recommended for particular fish, as they do acclimate well to a little higher or a little lower ph's, as long as it's stable. And if you have any questions after the cycle is complete on your ph, etc, post your questions here. You will get more reliable answers than what some lfs's will give you, IMO.

Is there anything I should be worried about or should test of the water? Right now, I am only testing the ph...

Back
Top Bottom