pH level in my planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pocketrout

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My planted tank has had a low pH (6.4) and my Amazon Swords have been suffering. Can someone recommend a product or solution to raising the pH to an acceptable level?

sea shells, marble chips, argonite ... all sources of both GH and KH

for KH only (which effects your PH), look at baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) or a calcium supplement from the drug store (calcium carbonate)

what area are you in, in Michigan to have such a low PH ... is your water softened with a water-softener perhaps?

water from the tap here in the northwest lower is about 7.6 from the tap, and very hard (16-18GH, 8-12KH)

I have been using RO water. When I first moved here I used my well water in a 10 gal. tank that held an African Clawed Frog and Water Sprite plants. In a few weeks the plants were sufferingand eventually I went to RO water. When I got my 40 gal. Eclipse I used the RO water and seem to be doing ok except for my swords. I have Tiger Lotus that is doing very well and have a hard time keeping up with. Lilly pads everywhere! Check out my gallery for pics. By the way thats my pic winning the freshwater photo contest so far this month.

Seachem Alkaline buffer will work, though not as cheap as baking soda or oyster shells. I use it because I can raise the PH on tank change water quickly. Cost is $8 per 800 Gallons for Seachem's alkaline buffer, which is CC based. :) A product by Seachem called Equilibrium will raise your GH too, but not the KH . HTH

Hey, nobody's stopped to state the obvious, though... Amazon Swords prefer a low to neutral pH. I have mine at 6.5 and they're thriving--one grew about 15 extra leaves in a month. Your pH is right on the borderline for these plants. Isn't it possible that there are other factors influencing its success? Do you have a fertilized substrate/enough light?

Very good point Madasafish... My Amazon sword was growing nicely, as were other plants in my tank, but on many the color was too yellow. I had enough light... 2.5 wpg, 3 inches plus of flourite gravel, ph 6.9 to 7, was injecting 15 to 18 ppm CO2, and adding trace elements and potassium 1x per week and Flourish Iron 3x per week. What was wrong here?

Well, the plants needed root fertilizer/vitamin tabs. I added some about six days ago, and voila, nice green looking leaves in no time. I guess my point is one has to cover all the basics to really get there, not that I'm there yet, being a bonafide novice.

:D P.S. I just bought a used copy of the Baensch Aquarium Atlas for about $25 from Amazon. It seems like a great source book with over 100 plants and 600 species of fish cataloged with nice photos in a concise, readable form! I highly recommend this book for fishheads...:D

Back
Top Bottom