pH levels!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

packfan2204

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright, my pH has been at 8.6 for about the last month, and i haven't started adding calcium yet, i stopped adding vitamin C to see if that helped, and i've been adding superbuffer almost everyday since i saw the levels. I've also done two 10% water changes. Any suggestions to get it back down quick, fast, and in a hurry?

oh, i also wanted to add just in case anyone was wondering, i started my tank with treated tap water, but lately i've been using RO water from the LFS. I also use a dry tab pH test kit made by aquarium pharmaceuticals.

buffer

why are you adding buffer if your pH is 8.6? Maybe I misunderstood your post. Buffer is to raise the pH, not lower it.
cris

OK then, maybe i was told wrong, because i was told that the buffer would set the pH at the right level, whether too low or too high

Some buffers can raise and stabalize PH and or ALK, but I am not aware of any that will lower it. Think of it this way, if there were chemicals in it to lower and raise the ph....they would neutralize each other.

You probably have natural hard water from your tap. The marine buffers claim that it will bring your PH to 8.3, but it can and will raise it to 8.6 initially. It should drop down to 8.2 - 8.3 after a day or so. Like everyone else said, just stop using the buffer.

well, i haven't added any buffer in about 3 or 4 days and i just double checked it again, and still 8.6, i'm checking it with the lights on if that makes any difference

Back
Top Bottom