PH levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

summercgreen

Aquarium Advice Regular
Over the last week I had my tank crashed. I've got everything under control finally. Nitrates 0, nitrites 0, Ammonia 0 but now my PH is 5. I started a week ago with a huge w/c then went down to about 25% every other day. I would add prime to the water I added. The LFS said to add neutral regulator but I don't want a temp fix. Do I just keep up with the water changes every other day? What should I do?
55g freshwater
Fluval C4 filter
Temp 78

I have a 55g tank too and water where i am is acidic. I secure my pH level at around 7 by adding about 5 tablespoons of coral gravel in a mesh bag and leave it in the filter box.

You can adjust amount of coral gravel to be used accordingly... depending on your water condition

What is the pH of your tap water after it has gassed out for 24 hours? This you need to know. I wouldn't add anything to the water, chems or crushed coral, until you know this.
If your tap pH comes back ok then you need to do large water changes until your tank is back to normal.

Yep I totally agree with the advice Blert gave you. First get all your facts before taking any steps to resolve the issue.

blert said:
What is the pH of your tap water after it has gassed out for 24 hours? This you need to know. I wouldn't add anything to the water, chems or crushed coral, until you know this.
If your tap pH comes back ok then you need to do large water changes until your tank is back to normal.

My pH is 7.0 when gassed out over night. This is something that I've never checked before because our water here is so good in the mountains. I've checked it before right from the tap and it was 7.0 also. But your right. It has changed a bit. It is now 6.5-7. Not much of a change. So I will keep up with my water changes.

Thank you for all your help:)

Back
Top Bottom