Ph levels....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redrdr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I have a 60 gallon saltwater tank with a clown fish and a yellow coris wrasse. We had a cleaner shrimp and he just died unfortunately. I've tested my water and all my levels are good. Nitrite and nitrate were at 0. Ammonia was 0 as well. My ph was a little low at around 7.8-7.9. That's the only thing I think may have affected him. He was about a year old. I just wanted to ask before something else happens to my fish. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The shrimp probably died of old age. Don't chase pH, those numbers are fine.

That's what I was thinking, but I didn't think he was that old. We had him for about a year. He was probably about 3 and half inches long. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. All I did was open a window to raise the ph a bit. Haven't done anything else. I'm gonna recheck all the levels tomorrow.

I've noticed they only live 1-2 years and who knows how old they're when we buy them. My first only lived about a year as well.

I agree, shrimp arent the most long lived critters I've discovered. I think I had one for almost 2 years at the most, abd it was only a tiny peppermint shrimp. lol I had a fire shrimp for close to that as well. I had mine from when they were small and they grew during the time I had them. If yours was of any significant size it may have been an older shrimp who couldnt live forever. Not sure if this holds true in the wild, but in home aquaria I don't think they have a long life span such as fish.

Yeah sounds about right. He had grown a lot since we got him.

Back
Top Bottom