pH Puzzle - Mystery solved (for the most part)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batt4Christ

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Back when we set up the 29G, I wondered (and may have even posted here) about the confusion over the pH of the water in the tank. I had been noticing that the Apple Snails' shells were eroding away - yet the pH was testing rather high. I thought that odd. At the time, the Aquarium water was testing at 7.4, while the tap water was testing at 7.2.

Since then, the pH of that tank has crept up a bit, and the 55g project has seen a "steady" 7.5-7.6.

Out of curiosity, I tested the tap water again this evening... and it is at 7.6.:face palm:

Of all the places I have lived where I have also kept at least one aquarium, I have never dealt with water that alkaline. Even years ago when we used well water - it was not quite that high - and it was fairly hard water.

So I pulled up our water utility's most recent quality test figures (2010), and what do I find? The "average" pH - 7.7 (with a range of results through the year - 7.2-8.2.

So... I'm curious what my pH is going to do with the "new" pressurized CO2 system operational...

I have no experience with CO2 (though I hope to in the future) but if it makes you feel any better my tap water has a ph of ~ 8.0 and ~20 ppm of Nitrate.... But we are moving this week so hopefully the new place won't be so bad.

Before anyone asks.... API master kit and yes I have tested multiple times, and let the water sit out before testing etc... And I am positive about the Nitrates. I can tell you more about that if you want, but I know the source.

Back
Top Bottom