Ph question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikey214

Aquarium Advice Freak
In my established 29 gallon tank I had pet smart test my water and they said my numbers are fine but my ph is around 6.5 and is low. What could cause my ph to drop ? Is it a problem and how can I correct it ? Thanks alot

There are alot of things that can cause your ph to be that low
Whats the ph of your water out of the tap...
Do you have driftwood in the tank...
Are you adding any kind of buffers...
Based on the reason there are natrual ways to raise ph, you can add crushed carol in your filter or tank, adding lime stone will increase it. Try to avoid using ph up and down products, they just throw everying out of wake if you are not perfect.

I have a piece of driftwood for over a year now , I have two java fern and an onion plants and I do not add any buffers.

It's a little low but as long as it is stable you should be ok depending on the fish. Only concern is if it drops more the water is getting acidic and can be dangerous to some fish.

My ph is 8 and my fish are doing just fine. Most fish can live happy in wide range a ph as long as it is stable. With sites say it should be 7.4 ph(just throwing a number out there) becuase thats prob what they lived in the wild.

I will find out how many fish and what kind tomorrow it's a tropical community and I know I'm not overstocked.

6.5 PH will be fine for most fish with the exception of most african chilids and liverbearers (platies, mollies, guppys, endlers) however those fish will still be able to adapt to that PH, it is much more important to have a stable PH then anything else.

if wish to raise your PH then crushed coral will be the way to go, added very slowly over a large amount of time (a month or two) as to acclimate the fish properly and not shock them.

however if you have tetras and angelfish, among various others who's names i dont remember, they love a ph of 6.5

Do not change your ph!! All the cool fish like 6-7 ph

Get some german blue rams or discus!

Yea haha, it's just my opinion. They have all the cool fluresant colors

I also forgot to mention tetras have a much higher breeding successess rate in that kind of water.

Back
Top Bottom