pH Swings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jtez

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys, I'm cycling my 37gal and my pH looks to have changed a huge deal in a short amount of time.

My tap water's pH is about 7.3 and that's what my tank was sitting at when I tested it 3 days ago. At the time ammonia: 4, nitrites: 0.5, nitrates: 0

Tested again today, my pH is 6, ammonia: 0.25, nitrite: 5 nitrates: 20.

In my tank i have some wisteria that isn't faring too well, most of it is rotting away and I've left the rotting leaves in as a source of ammonia as well as fish flakes that i'm using. Could the rotting plants be affecting the pH?

---------

Edit: just did a few re-tests, my tank water has consistently tested at 6.5 a few times in the past 10 mins, but my tap water is bluer than my chart (which goes to 7.8). Any ideas why my tank is swinging? I may have got a bad test earlier, only tested once

How often should i test water while cycling?

It's not uncommon for tanks to have a large ph drop during cycling. It's not the plants unless your tank is full of dead plants. You can do a 50% WC to re-add buffers back into the water and raise the ph or you can add a little bit of baking soda to raise the ph back up. Adding crushed coral in the filter or in a media bag hung under the filter outflow is another good way to naturally increase kh which in turn increase ph.

Ok thank you heaps. I'll keep an eye on it and if its staying a bit low I'll look into some crushed coral

Back
Top Bottom