PH too high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is a ph of 7.6 too high for platys and cardinal tetras and danios(don't have any yet)?

Not for the Platy or Danios but it's not ideal for the Cardinals. They should be in softer less acidic water for optimal health. (y)

I agree but most freshwater fish these days are tank raised and most 7.2-7.8 depending on breeder (company) best thing is to ask the store/lfs where you get the fish what there ph is and adjust from there.

I agree but most freshwater fish these days are tank raised and most 7.2-7.8 depending on breeder (company) best thing is to ask the store/lfs where you get the fish what there ph is and adjust from there.

That's true in most cases however most Cardinals in the U.S. are still wild caught over tank raised. There is even a Youtube video of how they are sustainably harvested. Due to this being the case, I would never buy newly arrived Cardinal from a store but wait to see how they do after being there for a while. Wild fish won't always break down immediately but will not fair well if their needs are not met in a store. (Having been in the business, I know this first hand. :whistle: )The fish could look great in Monday and be dead by Thursday. If they still are doing well later in the week, THEN you would want to duplicate what the store did for these fish. (y)

Back
Top Bottom