pH varies between tanks...why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debisbooked

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two tanks, both planted. One is a 75 g with 2 Rena 3 filters. The other is 10g quarantine tank with Fluval filter (model unknown). The 10g pH is 6.0. The 75 g pH is 6.4. I have three skirt tetras in 10 g I was planning on transferring to 75g tomorrow. Is this pH difference going to cause a problem?

Are you sure the 6pH is correct? What test kit do you use? My test kit is an API. This kit measures from 6.0 to 7.6. Water below 6.0pH will read 6.0pH. Livebearers prefer a pH of 7.5pH. So going from 6.0 tank to a 6.4 tank should not hurt, but it seems to be better!

Are you sure the 6pH is correct? What test kit do you use? My test kit is an API. This kit measures from 6.0 to 7.6. Water below 6.0pH will read 6.0pH. Livebearers prefer a pH of 7.5pH. So going from 6.0 tank to a 6.4 tank should not hurt, but it seems to be better!

I used a new API kit so the smaller tank could actually be lower than 6.0? What would make the difference and is this something I should try to correct? I don't think any of my current fish are livebearers (tetras, rams, corys). I've had livebearers in the past though who seemed to do fine in the larger tank. I admit I've never really understood what pH is or why it is important at all. :oops:

pH is the measure of how acidic or how basic something (ie, the water) is. 7 is neutral, so pretty much inert. Some fish won't breed in basic water, some won't breed in acidic, some don't thrive in one or the other but will live. Most fish, so long as it's constant, they're fine at a fairly broad range. Acidity needs to remain at a certain level or you risk a pH crash, which will not go over well with your fish.

Yes, the pH of your smaller tank could be less than 6.0. The API kit registers 6.0 when the water is 6.0 or below (5,4,3,2,1,0). What is the pH of your tap water? Your tank water should not vary much from that!

The pH scale, which describes the acidity or alkalinity of a liquid can be confusing! The units on the scale run from zero which is extremely acidic, through fourteen, which is very alkaline. In the middle, around 7.0, is the neutral, neither acidic nor alkaline. The numbers on the pH scale measure the concentrations of Hydrogen ions [H+] in the water. More precisely, pH represents the negative logarithm of the concentration of hydrogen ions. Thus, the higher the pH (the more alkaline the solution), the lower the concentration of hydrogen ions. For example, a solution of pH 8.0 has a H+ concentration of 10 -8 (1 X 10 -8 = .00000001). Thus a pH of 6.0 has a H+ concentration of .000001. OK enough about chemistry class. pH preferences of Live-bearers (guppies, swords, etc.) is 7.0 - 7.4. For typical egg-layers (tetras, catfish) its 6.5 - 7.2. For African Cichlids its 7.6 - 8.4. For Salywater fishes its 8.0 - 8.4. And for most marine inve3rtebrates its 8.2 - 8.4.

Filling your tank with water of right pH is only the first step, because the presence of living organisms in your tank causes its pH to drop steadily. Also, the waste in your tank (ammonia) as beneficial bacteria changes ammonia into less toxic material, they release hydrogen ions. Also, if the tank is overcrowded, carbon dioxide given off by fishes and bacteria will build up in solution and acidify the water.

Finally, what does all this mean? Chage your water with new tap water knowing/testing it first. If the pH is in your required range, do nothing but moniter it weekly. API makes solutions to rise or lower the pH. I do not really recomend this, just keep the pH as close to the range in your tap water. Hope this all makes sense.

One last question! What part of the country do you live? Do you have city water or well water? Water acidity varies all over the map depending where you live. For example, water in Boston has an alkalinity of 10ppm where baking soda can act as a buffer using a test kit as a guide to adjust. Water pH in the Philly area is around 7.6. In other areas, such as parts of California, the water's total alkalinity is just right for aquaria. Santa Barbara's city water has an alkalinity of about 190ppm. Parts of Iowa, South Dakota, and Illinois water supplies have such high alkalinities that it is difficult to lower pH below 7.0.

The pH in your tank can drop over time. To bring the pH back up, do a few water changes over the next week instead of only one. If you got behind on your water changes on this tank, that may be one reason it would have dropped lower than the other. Make sure you test your other parameters as well, because if it has/does drop below 6.0 your beneficial bacteria may die off causing the tank to cycle again. If this occurs, bring some filter media from your other tank over to re-establish your BB.

Driftwood, a large amount in comparison to the amount of water can drop your PH.

Do you have the same substrate and decor in both tanks?

Yes, in the 75 g I have EcoComplete substrate, a few small aquarium rocks, and a "holely" rock; a coconut hut plus the plants and two pieces of driftwood. The 10 g substrate is a mix of something that looks like kitty litter-I made it up years ago from a recipe suggested on one of these aquarium forums. Plants are also growing in there with a few small rocks and a coconut hut.

Back
Top Bottom