Ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin35

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I have a 10 gallon Betta fish tank with live plants, nerite and mystery snail. My ph is acidic ,6.5. Not sure why? I do regular water changes and siphon aquarium. Anyway, I need to bring it up for my mystery snails shell, it’s breaking it down. Someone recommended sea star to bring it up? What should I do?

Thanks! I think I’ll add a limestone rock, the high ph shouldn’t hurt my Betta fish, will it? Not sure how high it will make it, I just want to neutral, but I’m afraid it will be to high. Is there anything else I can do my muster snail shell other than messing with PH? I know Betta fish like it acidic but snails shells don’t. I have driftwood which brings it down, so maybe the limestone and driftwood would keep it alkaline? amazon has limestone rocks but not for aquariums, can I just use any limestone rock if I boil it first?

Tank pH

Hi, I have a 10 gallon Betta fish tank with live plants, nerite and mystery snail. My ph is acidic ,6.5. Not sure why? I do regular water changes and siphon aquarium. Anyway, I need to bring it up for my mystery snails shell, it’s breaking it down. Someone recommended sea star to bring it up? What should I do?

Hello Fin...

What do you mean by regular water changes? A 10 gallon tank is prone to sudden water chemistry changes unless most of the water is removed and replaced a couple of times a week. The reason being, the minerals in the water change in the presence of oxygen in the air. So, the water needs to be changed often to maintain healthy mineral levels for the fish. Floating plants will help steady the water chemistry, but the large, frequent water changes will benefit the water chemistry the most.

B

I do weekly water changes of 50%, I only have 1 Betta fish and snails in aquarium.

I can't imagine boiling the limestone would do anything at all, but then I've never used it myself. You might look at adding cuttlebone. It both slightly increases pH and provides snails with extra calcium for their shells.

Limestone raises PH the same as cuttlebone, I just don’t know if I need it specifically marketed to aquariums or any limestone rocks that’s been disinfected will work.

The highest the pH will get to by adding limestone is 8.3, where it reaches barcarbonate equilibrium. But I doubt it would even get that high, as the closer it gets to 7, the slower the reaction to dissolve the limestone.

That’s fine! I have a Betta fish so they don’t like really high ph, I just need it enough to stop being acidic for snails

What is your pH in tap water when it comes out of the tap
and when it has sat for 24-48 hours?

A quick note about this. When you use crushed coral to help change the pH it takes a decent amount of time for the minerals to effect the water, and when you change the water 50% every week which is a GOOD thing, you basically remove whatever has begun to break down in the water though.

This is what I use most often. The reason is because my water basically is at ZERO kH which is not perfect for many of my fish.

Every time I add the new water I add the Kents. Just a minimal amount, the directions tell you how much to add to get it to the number you are looking for. You start with one tsp per [Edited] 20-30G , then test the water after an hour and see where it sits. Yours would be 1/3rd of that - 1/3 tsp for 10 gallons. If you needed to only boost the kH like a half degree then use half of the 1/3 tsp.

If needed - I personally wait a few hours usually before adding the next dose so it is a gradual change for the fish. If you got to 7.2 that would be in the 7-7.5pH range for snails.

***Then just periodically test the tap water and see if it ever changes pH, and compare to the tank just to get a feel for where is rests at after weekly doing water changes. My minerals are used up by the plants I guess and I often need to add a little more to the tank.

Then you will know how much to add for every 5G bucket of water for each water change.

~~~
Specifically in one of my tanks, it is highly filtered and doesn't get as many water changes, and that is the one I need to check on most often. (also my city tap water changes at least 2 times a year because the water comes from snow melt in a lake and when that runs low it comes from the reservoir which has a basin of hard rock and the difference is around 6.5 to 7.5pH always a guessing game!)

It is fine to use in freshwater tanks as well as SW /marine tanks. You will not need to add as much and it will not raise the levels like SW.

https://kentmarine.com/products/kent-superbufferdkh.htm

Alternate future idea -
You might also consider using Ramshorn snails in a cool color like blue, red or orange and they repopulate frequently and do not live as long as Mystery snails or Nerites.

That way you can keep them in a lower pH tank as a Betta might like and not be as worried. Use the MS and Nerites in a tank with fish which prefer a bit higher pH (use the kH buffer and keep them all happy.

Last edited:
Also Check with your water department and see what the yearly report is for the water quality. It is something I believe all the water suppliers need to do. It tells you what is in there. You might need to add magnesium as well, aka Epsom salts (not a salt but actually magnesium sulfate).

You can use some Epsom salts from the pharmacy section, pure, no additives like peppermint or other oils, etc. just Epsom Salt.

There are some other products which are similar, though not ones I have used and feel comfortable to recommend.

The snails can’t have any salt in the Tank though, right?

If that is in reference to my post about Epsom Salts, they are not salt as mentioned in my last post, but actually Magnesium Sulphate. Look it up so you are positive.

" Trust but verify" is an applicable saying.

Earlier on in my shrimp keeping, I used to add a little salt, to my water. Redmond Sea salt from tje great salt lake. I would buy it bulk from the health food store and use about 1/4 teaspoon per gallon if i remember correctly it has a bunch of minerals. It was before I knew about KH. Later i stopped using it after about 3 years os I stopped using it all the time and just use it if needed. That was in Cherry shrimp tanks with plenty of babies! It would depend on what your water situation is.

I would say not necessary in most cases.

Back
Top Bottom