Phosban reactor or NO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pizza101

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just wanting to get an opinion on weather on is needed or not!

slitherbomb said:
Do you have excessive phosphates? If you have a refugium you should just get chaeto algae.

Yea I have a fugue/ sump with cheato I'n it phos ate at .25 pretty steady

What test kit do you use? I don't trust mine. It always said .25 even with water coming out of a gfo reactor, and any water sample I tested. I've just been to lazy to buy a different test kit.

austinsdad said:
Anything above zero phosphates requries corrective action IMO. Using RO/DI water or is it in your tap water?

I only use RO/DI water. So I'm guessing that setting up a Phosban reactor is prolly a good idea. I have got some negative feedback on doing this as well but I'm looking to put the NX BIo pellets I'n.

I would invest in a top notch testing kit like a salifert for your phosphates test. My api always says I have no phosphates but the salifert can pick them up and its quite clear what the reading is.

Theres also the electronic version of the test that Hanna makes. I use that now, you put water in a tube, hit a button, then put in a powder packet and put it in the machine. Then voila 3 min later you have an exact number. I think I paid $30 for my kit.

But back to the question. lol If you have any phosphates it should be addressed and a reactor can do that. These are nicer than the phosban and have great reviews and they are cheap

BRS GFO and Carbon Reactor - English

I was thisclose to buying one my self until I got my phosphates down to .13 and I figured i can do the rest myself. The one I linked can also tumble carbon too soif you need that this is a great little reactor.
:)

austinsdad said:
Couple of questions. For the heck of it, have you tested your RO/DI water for phosphates? Also, do you use a substantial amount of flake food? It's the number one source of added phosphates in the home aquarium.

Good article IMO. Phosphates in the Aquarium

Another... http://www.athiel.com/lib3/phos.htm

I always test the water after I pick it up from the LPS! And as far as food goes all I use is frozen foods for my fish and corals. I also put liquid food for the corals as well.

Do you melt your frozen cubes in tank water and then strain? You can get phosphates from the liquid they freeze the food in! Something I picked up in my early days on the forum.

carey said:
Do you melt your frozen cubes in tank water and then strain? You can get phosphates from the liquid they freeze the food in! Something I picked up in my early days on the forum.

Hello Carey,
I don't do that actually but I do know on the blister pack says that it's guaranteed not to have any I'n it though.

I agree with carey in my early days I would just tough and feed after some reserch I stoped that and my phos have droped and stableized at 0

I got it from a guy on CL brand new. They run about $40 bucks I think normally. Lemme try to find a link...

I guess what I'm asking is I have a chance to get a two little fishes Phosban reactor, media,tubing, screens and pump for sixty bucks. Should I buy it or just another thing to plug I'n and let run for no apparent reason :)

Back
Top Bottom