Phosphate Blocker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asymphony

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had a problem with green water due to algae in my planted aquarium and had taken the advise to put in a phosphate blocker in the filter, and to remove the carbon media (because it likely was releasing excess phosphate).

My water, within a week, went from a green tinge to near crystal clear. My question is it safe to remove the phosphate blocker?

The tank is about 3 months old, is planted with fish.

The only problem is that the only place in my apartment where I could put my tank is in a bright room: sunlight doesn't touch it, but it's a really nice, bright living room.

When I remove the blocker, will I see a resurgence of the green water? Because my levels are all 0 ppm will it cause my nitrate/nitrite levels to spike up when the blocker is removed?

Regards!

No your nitrite should not spike if you have any sort of bio filtration remaining/left in with the blocker... In most cases well some cases overfeeding is a cause in green water. Broken down/excess food particles are what become phosphate and yes do pollute the water with bacteria colonies. Now the water is more than likely still healthy to the fish to you not so much as you cant enjoy the fish because you cant see them. Also to remove phosphates do more frequent water changes and gravel vacs. Ill tell you it is not because of your plants why you are seeing so much algae.

Oh and yes it is safe to remove the phosphate blocker. But I would do a PWC when you do. Thats just me.

Back
Top Bottom