Phosphate pads help with algea bloom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philip99

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have recently had an algae bloom (water is all green) will phos pads help by reducing the green ness of the water?

Here are the specs
55 g tank
Fluval C4 HOB filter
T5 HO lights 2x 6700k on for 10hrs
Planted
DIY co2

image-2710830039.jpg

Thanks for your time

Phosphate is usually not an issue at the concentration that you see in FW plants that are well maintained with regards to water changes. Green Water is usually caused by a combination of high light and ammonia. Your T5HO probably aren't helping it any, but the tank might also be getting light from a nearby window, which almost certainly will lead to issues.

As an aside, DIY CO2 doesn't work very well for tanks greater than 30g. It's just doesn't have the output or consistency that you need to ward off algae.

Not to start a debate or challenge aqua, but lets just say it was PO4's that caused the issue. The GW would have consumed all the excess PO4 anyways, so putting something into the tank to remove it isn't going to help.

You need to figure out was caused the initial GW and fix it. Most likely an excessive amount of NH3/NH4.

The good thing about GW is it fixes the issue that caused it. IE, if you have high levels of NH4, the algae has already consumed it and protected your fish from it.

The bad thing about GW is it is pretty difficult to get rid of especially if you don't know what caused it.

rkilling1 said:
Not to start a debate or challenge aqua, but lets just say it was PO4's that caused the issue. The GW would have consumed all the excess PO4 anyways, so putting something into the tank to remove it isn't going to help.

You need to figure out was caused the initial GW and fix it. Most likely an excessive amount of NH3/NH4.

The good thing about GW is it fixes the issue that caused it. IE, if you have high levels of NH4, the algae has already consumed it and protected your fish from it.

The bad thing about GW is it is pretty difficult to get rid of especially if you don't know what caused it.

My current levels are
Nitrate 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Ammonia 0ppm
PH 7.6

There is a window, slightly beside the tank but I have put blinds over the window to help block out some of the light.
What would you recommend doing?

You can do some research on the web on how to remove it. Some people use UV fixtures. When I had it, I used my magnum 350 with a fine filter installed and some DE.

I experienced GW that just wouldn't go away. I eventually tried the 'blackout' method which killed it off and never came back since..

I used a blanket.. Check out this article.. Might help.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Getting-Rid-Of-Aquarium-Green-Water-Using-Black-Out&id=1072250

If you regularly feed your fish, there is no need to perform the first 3 steps in the guide. Feeding your fish 3 times a day for 3 days is overkill and will lead to other issues.

Your fish will be just fine not eating for 3 days.

rkilling1 said:
If you regularly feed your fish, there is no need to perform the first 3 steps in the guide. Feeding your fish 3 times a day for 3 days is overkill and will lead to other issues.

Your fish will be just fine not eating for 3 days.

Yeah I did it so long ago I don't think I followed that exact guide but I just googled up something to follow instead of me typing it all out. The point is that it worked for me.. Starve the algae of light and your problem should go away.

Back
Top Bottom