Phosphate Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefPhan_Harpua

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello AA,
I was just recently instructed by my Lfs to start testing phosphates in my reef tank. I tested this morning and had a reading of 6(mg). Is this something I need to address and try and change or is it ok for a reef? Thanks for any help.

whew you had me there. lol

That is high and can affect coral growth. Can you run some GFO in your filter? That should knock it right out.

It's high but not as high as mine has been so don't worry. lol

ReefPhan_Harpua said:

And no, I do not. As far as ro/di filtration goes.... Is it a difficult process? Should I invest in a system? Will it bring the phosphates down? Thank you!

tap water is the #1 culprit in high phosphates in my opinion. Switching to ro/di water should clear it up after a few weeks of water changes.

carey said:
whew you had me there. lol

That is high and can affect coral growth. Can you run some GFO in your filter? That should knock it right out.

It's high but not as high as mine has been so don't worry. lol

I have lr and a skimmer so should I put it elsewhere?

You place the GFO in a filter bag and out it in your return pump section. that will help for now. But switching water will really help. I promise. lol ;-)

carey said:
You place the GFO in a filter bag and out it in your return pump section. that will help for now. But switching water will really help. I promise. lol ;-)

Ok, thanks. I was planning on purchasing a ro system awhile ago but never got around to it so I guess now is the time. I will place the gfo in the return section of my skimmer for the time being. Thanks again!

Good luck! Make sure you get an ro/di not just the ro. you'll get less TDS (total dissolved solids) and will be even better.

I got mine off ebay. checkout purewaterclub they are the seller. Mine was only $59

carey said:
Good luck! Make sure you get an ro/di not just the ro. you'll get less TDS (total dissolved solids) and will be even better.

I got mine off ebay. checkout purewaterclub they are the seller. Mine was only $59

Will do. Thanks. Is it difficult to set up? I'm not exactly gifted when it comes to setting up stuff like that.

I'm a DIY challenged chick and I can make it work. Course I got the model that hooks up to my garden hose so its pretty much just putting the right water tubes in the right buckets. LOL

Back
Top Bottom