Phosphate test kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stinky Pete

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking at the Hanna from bulk reef supply. Anyone use it? Is it worth the money?

It is very accurate but IMO phosphates is something where you can tell if your good or not with just your eyes

I guess I just want to know where the level is at. All I know is it's between 0 and .25

Take a sample to your lfs, hopefully they will have a more accurate kit. Are you having algae issues?

The hanna checkers are some of the best investments I have ever put into my tank. Although after time, you can 'get a feel' for where things are at it is still sometimes good to run a test. It is worthwhile to get one of these checkers in my opinion.

My lfs uses API kits. I have the API kit for phosphates which is completely worthless. It goes from 0 to .25
Side note: I have no faith in my lfs at all.
What is the point of this kit? Clearly phosphate kits need to be more precise then that.
I have a little bit of red hair algae at the moment. I know I have phosphates and I know what I need to do I just want to know where I stand.

I just ordered one btw. What's another $45 in this hobby? Sigh

wont be a waste of money, they are very good test kits, don't get API they are junk. I thought I was the only one with the API problem stinky pete

I've used like every phosphate test out there and the hanna is my favorite! Without a doubt worth the money.

I think Hanna makes the only phosphate tester that's worth having. Repeatability and accuracy are what you need, otherwise the test kit is a waste of money. You want to be able to measure phosphates down to 0.05ppm. Yes, you can tell with your eyes when DOC's get high, but I like knowing thru a real measurement.

It is good to have accurate readings through the hanna checker. I don't test often, but when I do I have them tracked on an app on my phone that will graph them out to show the trends my tank has gone through. As of last night, my phosphates are 'high' at .06 with my low being .02 over the last 6 months.

That's really good. I have a whole room devoted to driving phosphates down and with my bioload I struggle to keep it under 0.10ppm.

I use to do that and it was certainly easier to maintain the tank, but as always happens to me I read a bunch of articles about fish health and feeding. I decided a few years back to go daily with a smaller more controlled feeding. I make nori available to the tangs for about an hour a day. All they can eat.

The result, I have more organics to clear. I also have a heavier fish load than in the past. But the upside is how gorgeous and healthy the fish have become. There is a major difference in behaviors as well. I have everyone who comes over tell me I have the best looking fat fish they have ever seen. It also makes it very difficult for them to become infected as their slime coats are good and thick.

So I would rather jump up filtration so I can feed my fish and spoil them.

What you put in vs what you take out. 2 feedings a week.

I've been feeding 3 times a week for the past few weeks. My problem now is my puffer isn't too happy with that. He has started to nip at a duncan and a leather. I knew he was gonna be a pig when I got him so I deserve it.
I'm not sure If I have a phosphate problem or not. I'll know soon enough when the test kit arrives.

Some fish like puffers, triggers, anthias and even tangs need to be fed as often as you can accommodate them. They are constant browsers, so three single feedings a week is pretty hard on their moral. I went for years and years feeding only a few times a week, but my fish weren't as happy and I didn't have things like triggers.

Back
Top Bottom