Picking a protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmaida17

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone!! My name is Tom and I'm still new at this saltwater aquarium setup and learning about it. I've done some research but need help choosing a protein skimmer for my 30 gallon fish only aquarium. Does anybody out there have any ideas of which one I should get? Price doesn't matter as long as its within reason. Hope to hear from you soon .. Thank you!!

Hi Tom. :)

To be honest, with a fish only and a 30g tank I would say you can pass on the skimmer. But you have to keep up on your water changes, not overstock or overfeed. I currently run a 29g biocube with no skimmer and also ran a 29g regular tank without as well. Just a matter of how well you take care of your tank.

Oh ok .. I have been testing it and everything's been ok so far so I was avoiding but thought it was a necessary to have one to help get ride of the sludge. I just bought a Odessay light from aquatraders.com about 10 days ago and I notice between that and the purple up and microbacter by Brightwell algae growth has bloomed rapidly. It is also at the 2 month mark so that could also make a difference as well. Thanks for the advice!!

carey said:
Hi Tom. :)

To be honest, with a fish only and a 30g tank I would say you can pass on the skimmer. But you have to keep up on your water changes, not overstock or overfeed. I currently run a 29g biocube with no skimmer and also ran a 29g regular tank without as well. Just a matter of how well you take care of your tank.

x2. She knows....

Oh ok .. I have been testing it and everything's been ok so far so I was avoiding but thought it was a necessary to have one to help get ride of the sludge. I just bought a Odessay light from aquatraders.com about 10 days ago and I notice between that and the purple up and microbacter by Brightwell algae growth has bloomed rapidly. It is also at the 2 month mark so that could also make a difference as well. Thanks for the advice!!
stop adding all that stuff and you won't have "sludge". It's completely unnecessary.

I only use 3 days worth like a month ago. The idea was to speed up the processes a little so that my inverts could thrive. I haven't added it since, but it does work. Lol.. Good to know though

Hey X you seem to know everything about aquariums.. I need some help finding a clear cover for my aquarium to help prevent my fish from jumping out bc my light covers the whole top of the aquarium.. Where can I get one any idea?

I don't know everything. I learn new things every day. I do like the screen netting covers that Carey linked. I don't use any top on my aquarium.

I was trying to avoid it as well but I recently had a firefish jump out and die so I m going to have to invest in one. May he RIP

Back
Top Bottom