Picking Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

curiousclam120

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone. I've been trying to pick out coral for my 90 gallon mixed reef tank. It isn't set up though so I'm not putting anything in there right away.
I was wondering about Sea Fans. I read the little info from liveaquaria, but I still have questions.
I have 8 HO T5 ATI bulbs on a sunlight supply T5 fixture for lighting. I think it is 3 blue 1 purple and 2 whites and 2 blue/white. I kind of forgot though :huh: Also I have probably more than enough flow,(flow accelerators, up to 400x the package claims).

I'm still confused :blink: Is the aquarium you put a sea fan all dark because it needs little light? So if you could give me some feedback, facts, or if it will work for my system, I would appreciate that a lot. Thanks.:thanks:

Sea fans tend to be a advanced coral because of their care. Many are deep water and are filter feeders. I would recommend concentrating on corals that feed mainly from symbiotic algae they carry as they will get most of their requirements from the lighting. I don't think a new tank would sustain sea fans without some very specialized feeding. JIMO.

Thanks I won't get a sea fan until I have an established aquarium and know exactly how to care for them. Thank you for your feedback.

They are filter feeders for the most part. So any regime that you would use to feed polyps would be what you would need to do. They also sway a lot in the current (they are sea fans after all) so I would guess current is important. I tried to keep some years ago, but had a personal realization that I wanted to have a life. That meant giving up on a few things that consumed time...polyp feeding was one of those things. So now if it isn't mainly photosynthetic, I am not interested...I am sure some varieties can be kept just fine with the proper setup. JIMO

Haha I will definitely get those. I should have a zoa garden. Thank you for everyone's input! I really want success instead of death obviously! I'll probably get a book on certain types of advanced corals...because I'm nerdy like that :p

Back
Top Bottom