pictures of my container pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acpart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my 35 gallon container pond on my 2nd floor porch. It doesn't show the fish --giant danios and Indian flame barbs. I wish it could be outside for more than 4 months a year.

Aliza

Attachments

• pond2_102.jpg
    pond2_102.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 135
  • pond1_191.jpg
    pond1_191.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 135
  • pond3_113.jpg
    pond3_113.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 162
  • pond4_178.jpg
    pond4_178.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 215
Very nice. I used to have a half barrel pond, it was fun, but i had to upgrade. Anyway, i love the papyrus(can't spell). Very nice, very full! Your fish will love it in there. I am working on setting up my half barell pond inside so i can keep my platys in there. My only concern is the temperature fluxuations. What are they like. Fluxuations could make your fish's ammune system become weaker.And tropical fish can't stand temp. flux. as much as fancy goldfish can. Very nice pond though, i love it.

The fish have done very well. This is the second summer outside for the giant danios. They are in front of the deck door in my kitchen from October to June. Last year they spawned during the summer as well as the winter. Of course, most of the fry don't survive. I started with 6 and now have about 25. The flame barbs seem to be happy. I only have 3. One seems to have died but it had something that looked like tumors on its abdomen. They are tropicals but are hardier than some species.

Aliza

The whole pond comes in and I have a heater that I set at 76º. The floating plants die and the others struggle along till spring.

Aliza

I would take the floating plants out, as would I the other potted plants. The floating plants will throw off your parameters if they rot. The potted ones will too. I would consider getting a rubbermaid bin to put the potted ones in. The rotting material will cause disease in your pond too. And when i say take them out, i mean in the winter. They are fine outside.

Thanks. I will take the floaters out and get rid of them. The potted plants generally didn't rot. The few parts that started to go I took out right away. The fish seemed to thrive last winter so I'm going to do the same thing (except for the floaters) this winter.

Aliza

Could she use a full-spectrum growing lamp to keep all the plants, floating and planted, alive and active during the winter months?

I checked into lighting and in order to keep the floating plants alive during the winter I'd need a mercury halide lamp suspended a certain number of inches above the pond. Not something I want to get into. Most of the plants thrive, the ones that don't tend to be invasive (I think the water hyacinth prevented my water lily from blooming this year --I've been removing gobs of them all summer) so it's no great loss. Thanks for thinking of me, though.

Aliza

Back
Top Bottom