Pictus catfish unsure if sick or just fat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tommyguns

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've only had this pictus catfish for 3 days now and today when I got home from work I noticed it has this massive belly now. I'm new to the hobby and had thought my tank cycled but it hasn't I only have 2 pictus catfish in my 55g tank. Current readings ph 8.2 ammonia between 0 - .25 nitrites 0 nitrates 0 temp 78. Besides the big belly the fish seems fine otherwise swims around in a circle on the glass. (Think it sees reflection)

the other pictus is about half the size and seems fine ( hiding In a helicopter, occasionally seen swimming past door no bloated belly.)

I know they are nocturnal and he's may also be glass surfing because he has no hiding spot, I just got driftwood in today and its soaking in hot water to remove Tannians I think it's called so it doesn't stain water and kill fish.

The last two nights both fish ate at least 1 or 2 pellets.

I have been reading and some suggestions people got said dropsy? One said maybe the catfish just ate a bunch of food?

image-1935133267.jpg

image-2969292517.jpg

I know the pictures are pretty bad but I hope they help. Very actively fast swimmer

Nothing to worry about he just eats until he's about to burst at the seems. Figured I'd post it up for any other beginners out there. Both my pictus catfish are very healthy always swimming and eating now.

Back
Top Bottom