Pictus catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awhutter

Aquarium Advice Regular
Right now I have a 220g community tank including 2 pictus catfish. I got them both at the same time and they're always hiding usually not near eachother. If I put two more pictus in, will all four school together and not hide as often? The two I have right now do come out at feeding time but that's it.

Right now I have a 220g community tank including 2 pictus catfish. I got them both at the same time and they're always hiding usually not near eachother. If I put two more pictus in, will all four school together and not hide as often? The two I have right now do come out at feeding time but that's it.

How long have you had them, and who are their tank mates?

They've been in there for about two months never changing their behavior. Their tankmates consist of south American cichlids, an eclipse cat, and an African featherfin. Theyre not picked on ever that I've seen. Thanks for the advice

They've been in there for about two months never changing their behavior. Their tankmates consist of south American cichlids, an eclipse cat, and an African featherfin. Theyre not picked on ever that I've seen. Thanks for the advice

They may be getting bullied at night. Mine succumbed to the harassment of my featherfins :-(

Have you tried rearranging the tank to remove established territories?

Ps. Your tank sounds fab!

Make sure you have a lot of spots for them to hide so they feel space. I think adding a couple more could help.

I actually just did rearrange the tank quite a bit, no behavior change. There are loads of hiding spots as well, there are easily 5 unused all the time

They may be getting bullied at night. Mine succumbed to the harassment of my featherfins :-(

Have you tried rearranging the tank to remove established territories?

Ps. Your tank sounds fab!

Thanks. :) my featherfin is out all day and I've never seen it pick on any fish, but the eclipse/sun cat has chased the featherfin around a good dozen times when out feeding

Thanks. :) my featherfin is out all day and I've never seen it pick on any fish, but the eclipse/sun cat has chased the featherfin around a good dozen times when out feeding

I'd add at least one more then. Hopefully the eclipse isn't the reason they're reluctant to venture out. Will they come out in the open when you feed frozen worms? My 3 got very brave when worms were on the menu! lol

I'd add at least one more then. Hopefully the eclipse isn't the reason they're reluctant to venture out. Will they come out in the open when you feed frozen worms? My 3 got very brave when worms were on the menu! lol

Oh yeah, the two I have come out for feeding but still are skiddish if I make a movement too quickly. Thats the only time they're upfront. Do your 3 roam around even when being fed?

Here's an attempt to put a phone picture up of my tank.

Great tank! All 3 of mine died over a period of 4 days. I bought 2, and had a similar situation to yours, so I bought another. They didn't always hang together, but they became very active- 'patrolling' their end of the tank. I had their territory set up at the opposite end of the tank to my 2 feather fins, but my upside down cats liked to share their space. They were always a bit skittish (as are my u/d cats) but I didn't have the long enough to find out if that would change. :cry:
Not to mention that they were $35 each.

Ah, that's too bad. I will probably grab another 2 then. 35 for a pictus is very high. I think they're usually 10

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom