pink "cottony" sores on whiteskirt tetra (especially around gill)???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whiteskirt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had her 1.5 years, just today I noticed that her gill on one side was red and inflamed looking, almost like the bottom half was missing. On closer look, there's a pink mass of fleshy looking stuff poking out all around her eyes and gill, and in 2 patches on her body (same side). It's weird, almost looks like her scales have fallen off and that's the color of her body showing through? I've tried to find out what it is via google, but can't find any info. Does anyone have any idea what this is, if it's contageous and how to treat it? Thanks!

whiteskirt said:
I've had her 1.5 years, just today I noticed that her gill on one side was red and inflamed looking, almost like the bottom half was missing. On closer look, there's a pink mass of fleshy looking stuff poking out all around her eyes and gill, and in 2 patches on her body (same side). It's weird, almost looks like her scales have fallen off and that's the color of her body showing through? I've tried to find out what it is via google, but can't find any info. Does anyone have any idea what this is, if it's contageous and how to treat it? Thanks!

Hi! Welcome to AA.
A few questions to help us help you.
What are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
How often and how much water do you change?
What temperature is the tank?
How quickly did the 'fuzz' appear?
Is it spreading? How quickly?
Any flashing/scratching on decor by the infected fish or any others?
Have you changed anything in the tank recently like filter media?
Do you have a quarantine tank?
Can you post a picture?

Thanks, ok here's the skinny:
nitrite=0 nitrate =40 (ammonia , pH, not sure , need to get new tests.)

1/3 tank changes every 6 weeks or so (though has gone longer sometimes in the past 5 months due to a new baby.) Changed it yesterday.

temp is 78

I take it back, it's not fuzz, it's like a fleshy mass. Seemed to appear over a day, may have been 2.

haven't noticed spreading.

nothing weird with the other fish. (actually, the guppy looked like he was picking at her scales, just noticed it.)

nothing new with the tank.

she's in 2.5 gallon quarantine tank but the heater is useless. second one, bought it last night. so her temp is around 70. i know that's bad, i need to find a **** heater that works in that size tank. I dosed her with Melafix.

She's prob not going to make it, but I'd like to know what the problem is in case it ever happens again. :(

pic's not great but was the best i could do. hmmm. need to figure out how to post it...

Ok the very first thing I'm going to recommend is a regular water change schedule in both the QT and main tank. Even though you nitrates aren't excessively high the TDS could be. 50% weekly changes are recommend (I know it's hard with a new bub but your fish will thank you!). The best thing for sick fish (or any fish) is clean water. I would keep him in QT and change at least 50% of the water daily. Add slowly over a day or two 1 flat tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons (so half a tablespoon of salt to the 2.5g). Dissolve it in tank water first. Any salt WITHOUT anticaking agents or iodine is fine to use.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html
Give this a read. It's written for beginners but contains some good info for experienced hobbyists also. :)

Depending on what your dealing with, the lower heat could be good. If it a bacterial infection the lower heat could be slowing it down. If your willing antibiotics Would probably be the best option.

Last edited:
why do i need a url for a picture? can i not just upload one from my computer? sorry, checked faqs, can't see the answer.

Thanks for replying.

wow, WEEKLY 50% changes? I've never heard that before. (neither that much water nor that frequently) Do you mean just for a short time on the main tank? But I'll try it on both.

I have aquarium salt so will try that too.

Good to know that the lower temp may be good. Can't find a heater that works in that tiny of a tank!

thx a lot!

whiteskirt said:
Thanks for replying.

wow, WEEKLY 50% changes? I've never heard that before. (neither that much water nor that frequently) Do you mean just for a short time on the main tank? But I'll try it on both.

I have aquarium salt so will try that too.

Good to know that the lower temp may be good. Can't find a heater that works in that tiny of a tank!

thx a lot!

Yep 50% weekly from now on. It is most aquarists belief that the more fresh water you can flush through a tank the better for the fish. Changing this much water will not harm the cycle or 'balance' in the tank in any way.
I have two little kids and now 9 tanks and I do 50% on all of them weekly :) it is possible! Lol.

Hi again, sorry it's been so long. Ok, been doing the regular water changes. She's still hanging in there, but not improving. I don't think the salt/Melafix is helping. I have her photo uploaded in an album called "sick fish" --can I put it right on this thread (if so, how??)?

in the picture you can see that it almost looks like her gill got ripped off and the pink flesh is poking out. But she also has 2 pink patches on her side where it looks like scales fell off, so not sure what to make of it.

Hi!
She's not looking too good is she. :( look up lateral line disease and HITH. I'm not sure if it effects tetras. My guess is still a bacterial infection of some sort. If she is eating I would try a medicated food that treats gram negative bacteria. If she's not eating find one to treat the water.
If she seems to be suffering and progressively getting worse you might have to look into euthanasia.

Back
Top Bottom