Pink Gourami sitting on bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ardynas

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,
Can anyone tell what's wrong with this Pink Gourami? He's my alpha male in our 150 gal tank. There is only one other male (Blue Gourami) which is submissive. I found the pink sitting on the bottom of the tank today. I've been noticing that his side fins are getting red and his bottom fins as well.
He really has no reason to be stressed that I can tell. Our tank is quite peaceful unless something in the water is causing this.

Water is:
pH = 6.5
NH3/NH4 = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 2

I do 40% water changes weekly. This is an established tank except for the fact that when we bought our home (two months ago) the tank came with it (built in). It was quite dirty and took me a while to get it cleaned up.

The only other thing is that my tap water is not so great with pH of 8.4 and Ammonia is reading .5 PPM. I use Prime when refilling the tank. I turn my FX5 filter off. Add Prime directly to tank (enough for 150 gals) and slowly add water to tank till full. After it sets for a while and I stir the tank, I then turn the filter back on. I don't want to leave the filter on and circulate tap water before it's been treated so I don't kill my bio in filter.
Thanks,

original.jpg

It could possibly be the Ph... ( probably not) maybe internal parasites?

As I understand it the higher the pH the more effect ammonia has on the fish. .5 is too high. I'm not very experienced though. Maybe someone else will have better advice.
Good luck!

Hi,

What test kit are you using???

From looking at the picture you posted, it looks like his bottom fins might have something on them, but it's hard to tell...

Is he usually that color?

Last edited:
Feeling Better!

Thank you for responding.

After my next weekly water change (40%) he perked up and I haven't seen him on the bottom since. In fact he's been acting more alpha than ever strutting and sitting proudly in the center of the tank. A lot of the redding has gone away.

I suspect since he is a pink, he might be more susceptible to conditions than the other gourami's in the tank. His face has a little red around it but he is acting quite normal.

I'm using the API master test kit.

Picture from this morning.

original.jpg

Typical test results.

original.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Back
Top Bottom