Pink water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt.Gorilla

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a dropsyed fish in a 10 gal QT tank, she's a large 8-9" comet.
Shes eating fine and seems to be in good helth, other than being fat.

I noticed during a water change today that the waste water had a kinda pink color to it, very light but still there...

Is that bad? what is it caused by.

I don't have water peramiters.

Blue-Green Algae - Cyanobacteria
Cyano = blue, also called blue green algae, but most species found in the aquarium are pinkish-red. Another common name for this nuisance algae is red-slime, because the algae cells form a carpet like mat with a slimy appearance. The mats come off easily by using a vacuum.

Cyanobacteria is a single celled algae and actually more a bacteria. This algae usually starts out on one spot (dark with low water flow) then vastly spreading throughout the tank. As all single celled algae can grow fast, this one is the fastest. In an optimal environment, this algae can double every 20 minutes.

The only thing that pink suggests to me is blood. Is there any sign of bloody waste coming from the fish, or bloody gills? Even if that was the case, it would seem difficult for it to turn the water pinkish. Could the food be doing it?

is that cyano bacteria dangerous?
Not really, it is not edible for fish as it is toxic, but they know this and won't touch it. It is pretty unsightly. It is not uncommon in newer tanks and generally once you get the balance of light and nutrients under control it goes away, and you can move on to hair algae!! :D

Back
Top Bottom