Piranha help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake1123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two red bellied piranhas. I get the 12 rosy reds and they usually eat them all in a few days, but this dozen I got them has five left in over a week. Is there something wrong? I switched their tank about two weeks ago not sure if that has anything to do with it, but they seem fine.

How are all your water paramiters? Did you use the same substrate in the new tank?

Everythings the same with the water but I added more plants to it and thats about it

Well, the only thing that I can think of is that the plants are a shelter for the Rosys, and it makes it harder (more realistic) for the piranha to hunt them. How long has it been since they've eaten? Maybe i'd try putting some more in, (6 or so) to see if the frenzy begins.

Idk because the rosys stay at the top of the tank, but alright I'll probably go get some more

And how long its been about two days since they ate one of them

Or maybe even stir (that's a horrible word ha ha) them up at the top, to try and stimulate the piranhas. Do they seem to be acting abnormal to you? any unusual behavior (minus not eating everything they see).

Nope just hiding behind the plants like normal, everything seems fine I just wasn't sure. And stirring lol

Haha, I'd give them a few more days, if still nothing, I'd start getting concerned, maybe try a supplemental food? Sticks or pellets?

Back
Top Bottom