Piranhas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mboehm13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
how many red bellied pirhanas should I put in my 55gal? Do they have any compatible tank mates?

I'm sorry, where are you from?

The short answer is none.

The long answer is:
Piranha are schooling fish. They need to be kept in groups of at least 5-6. They get to 10inches long. No fish 10 inches long and as active as piranha can be put in to a 55 gallon tank. Some subspecies of piranha get much larger, up to two feet long. Next piranha are probably illegal to have in your state. Check here: http://www.opefe.com/images/Prohib_P.jpg

Illinios. I have heard from multiple sources that keeping pirhanas in schools of more than 4 can bring out aggressive behavior. My friend has a 55 gal with 3 red bellieds and a Pleco an has ha them for 4 years now

You can't keep any. His fish are probably stunted and probably will have reduced life expectancies. Yes, schooling will make them more aggressive but they will also be living in a more natural setting. Additionally, it's not a problem for people who keep large schools of piranha because they actually have suitable tanks for them: 300 gallons and up. I think you should tell your friend this information as well. Call it bollocks, I don't care, if you're set on piranha go for it. I can't stop you. Karma is great though.

Sorry for being so rude. I just realized: what species of piranha are you planning on keeping? That might make it okay...some of them stay pretty small.

He said red bellied, correct me if I'm wrong but I think those he fairly large

Ah okay oops, I'm a tad scattered brained. Anyways, no, no RBPs belong in a 55gallon. Check out Piranha irritans if you are set on piranha. Expect to pay a pretty penny for them though.

Back
Top Bottom