Pistol shrimp and jawfish symbiosis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Wondering if they would form a symbiotic relationship or if they would be in competition for burrows. I have a pistol shrimp and planning to get a jawfish.

I have read that they will probably be in competition for burrow space. If the tank is large enough, you should be ok, but I would not try this in anything less than a 55. Also, a jaw will require a much deeper substrate bed than a pistol. I have kept pistols on one inch of substrate and they MAKE burrows by moving sand and rocks arround. Jaws require a much deeper bed to make a decent burrow. If you have enough substrate and room so that both can be happy, you should be ok.

It's a 90 gal. The sand varies in depth, ranging from 1" to 4" (it started out even). I have more sand I can add if the jawfish puts up a sign, "Need more sand!"

I've witnessed the pistol ruling over his portion of the tank. Blenny settles down in the pistol's area. POP! Blenny flies to the other side of the tank. So that's why I was wondering about it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom