Places you WON'T find Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptnIgnit

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well after a frustrating night of running around everywhere before closing hours, I managed to make quite a list of places that don't have the right ammonia you need.

Lowes
Fred Meyer's
Top Food & Drug
Safeway
QFC
Rite-Aid

I think I looked at a few smaller places local only to seattle, but I wanted to list the major places (atleast I think they are multistate).

Hopefully this will save someone from wasting their sunday night running around in a futile attempt to find the right damned ammonia!

I guess I'll have to wait until Tuesday for Ace to open...

Found mine at walmart. It's not really something to look for in a drugstore. Mostly places like grocery and dollar stores.

The ammonia I originally bought at WalMart was the store brand, and had soap in it. I ended up finding mine at ACE as well.

Sigh, well it wouldn't have been nearly as frustrating if I had read that you don't want surfactants in the ammonia before I went out and bought it.

I saw clear ammonia at safeway and bought that intially, then after reading a little bit I realized I screwed myself. Luckily it was only a 10 gallon so cleaning everything off wasn't that difficult.

I got mine at Safeway about a year and a half ago. But they don't carry that brand anymore.

CaptnIgnit said:
Sigh, well it wouldn't have been nearly as frustrating if I had read that you don't want surfactants in the ammonia before I went out and bought it.

I saw clear ammonia at safeway and bought that intially, then after reading a little bit I realized I screwed myself. Luckily it was only a 10 gallon so cleaning everything off wasn't that difficult.

The stuff I use is Pacific Brand Crystal Clear Ammonia. Got it at Safeway. Instructions on the bottle says if you want to use it for cleaning with soap, you need to add the detergent, etc. It's just straight ammonia.

not sure if you have a 'family dollar' localy, but thats where i got mine. no surfactants, it is ammonium hydroxide.

Got mine at Seafeway. Wal-Mart here carries it as well as the local Dennis Company/Ace True Value. It was in the cleaning section but not with the other ammonia, go figure.

The following will work and are actually made by the same company.

ACE Hardware
Albertsons Simply Clean (clear)
Home Depot

:roll: this is funny. the title of the thread is "Places you WONT find ammonia" and everyone keeps putting places where you do find it(myself included). lol. :D

Alshain said:
The following will work and are actually made by the same company.

ACE Hardware
Albertsons Simply Clean (clear)
Home Depot

I didn't actually find it at albertsons either, they had the same brand that safeway had which had surfacants in it.

Sounds like it is a roll of the dice as different stores carry different brands.

Back
Top Bottom