Planaria and Hydra / liquid treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update on this. I have dosed every day for the past 5. Finally last night when I fed I did not see a single planaria pop up. Fish, shrimp and snails are all alive atm. Planning a 50% PWC today and perhaps tomorrow too. I suspect I did not shake the bottle well enough when I mixed up the first 10ml. 9/1 ratio. The second batch I shook like it was a nitrate test solution. The water stayed cloudy longer.

I fed about an hour ago and I’ve been checking the tank every 15 mins or so. No planaria surfaced.

WHAT a RELIEF!!! I will maybe be brave enough to try with the little shrimp this week.

I just saw one Planaria cruising past on the glass last night. Errrg.

I just started treating yesterday for a hydra infestation in a couple tanks. I used safe guard 22.5% powder and followed this article from here;
Guide to Planaria and Hydra Elimination - Aquarium Advice
I can attest to mixing this stuff being a task.
So I am wondering if either of you girls noted the smell of alcohol in your liquid mix ?
I know for fact I mix my praziquantel [ another hard to dilute wormer ] with vodka first to dissolve it when using powder and then dilute it in water.
I think I will mix up next batch with a little vodka first . I bought the 3 @ 4 grams pack so have 12 grams minus yesterdays gram and a scale to make up mix as needed for some time . :whistle:At least 11 more treatments for over 70-100 gallons. The mix is 1 gram per 200ml water then 20ml of mix per 10g ,so in theory 100 g of treatment per 200ml solution .
Funny for me but I only have hydra or have had hydra in tanks with either live bearers or snails ....Never in any other tanks treated basically the same ...
I will post back on how this works on the hydra . I guess I will treat for a couple days . I just did 50% changes in all tanks treated yesterday and will treat again today . I will see if I can hold off on WC again for a couple days as it seems to be used properly no WC are used so accumulation of the drug must be needed or it becomes in active in 24 hours or less ? If it becomes inactive then my water changes and re dosing is better IMO . :confused:
I just want the little fresh water anenomes gone ,and their snail friends too [sorry]...

I just got rid of my old bottle yesterday so I can't go run in and find out.

The liquid is for the goats so I doubt they have alcohol, or maybe the way to get the goats to WANT their dewormer, lol.

It is SafeGuard Goat Dewormer. I think I have read the ingredients off a pic of the bottle from online source a long time back.

I say liquid over and over, easy to calculate dose and easy mix. I feel like you can't get the right amount to know how much you are using very well if it isn't mixing in. A much bigger issue in a shrimp tank of course, than general fish tank.

Well hello to a dead /sleeping thread...
TMaier and CoralBandit - and anyone else with the treatment.

How do the long term results seem to be? If you report back, please mention again which wormer you used and how many treatments it took and which you treated for Planaria or Hydra.

Thanks!

I will be doing here tonight (probably) now that I have the dosage info in front of me - along with the meds!

Will report.

My latest is that the Planaria survived in the death event that killed 150 shrimp in my shrimp tank and the Planaria are going strong, shrimp eking along. :/

I dosed 1 time with fenbendazole for hydra[an infestation] and wiped them out .
I have not seen them return[been 6+ months].
I used 2 gram of 22% in 200 ml water, then dosed the tank @ 20ml per 10g.

I followed the instructions for the safeguard for the full treatment. They never came back.

Good news seems to be that the treatments either dry or liquid will work.

Taking it easy in the amount would be the trick it seems for the survival of inverts previously mentioned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As an update for treatment, if not mentioned yet - I would say to for sure treat the second dose listed in the beginning of the thread - best chance to be sure to eradicate them.

Exception being very delicate or rare (or super expensive) shrimp.

Alternately the colony of shrimp could be removed to new tank while the original tank is treated, knowing that you could scoop up the organisms with the shrimp. Having the shrimp pop out of the net might work.

Also making sure your new water in the temporary tank is basically the same as the old tank water. Can be accomplished by doing a smaller number of water changes with your water in the infested tank to get the water equal to the new tank water.

Back
Top Bottom